FaceTime for Lion vs Appstore

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DrSD, Nov 4, 2011.

1. DrSD, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

DrSD macrumors member

Hi,

I just bought my first mac, macbook pro its brilliant don't know why i was using Windows..
    anyways now i almost know everything but one thing bugging me when i login to appstore for mac it says " installed" on lion, iPhoto and few things which comes with lion.
    but why does it says FaceTime .99$ when i already have FaceTime on my macbookpro?

whats the difference between both FaceTime?
    also the version number is different should i buy that one?

i looked up forum din't find the answer ...hopefully someone will post.

thanks
    cheers

2. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

If im not mistaken. Facetime ships on newer macs while older macs must purchase the app from the App Store. Its either that or it comes with Lion and Snow Leopard users must purchase it. One or the other.

But the App itself is identical, no need to purchase if you already have it

3. DrSD thread starter macrumors member

Alrite, thanks mate.

4. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

I think it's the same but don't understand why they didn't the same as with iPhoto where the installed app comes from the Mac App Store ...
    (When I look at iPhoto in MAS, it shows "Installed" and Facetime shows "Buy")

5. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

FaceTime comes bundled with Lion, and will upgrade through Software Update or OS X Update.

FaceTime (same version) is also on the AppStore for users with 10.6.6 or later who want to use it but don't want to upgrade to Lion, so they have to pay 99 cents.

6. akbarali.ch macrumors 6502

akbarali.ch

its not the same version atleast "about" says different

Facetime on my lion says 1.1.1 while on the appstore says 1.0.2 and says "Install" not "buy" as i had purchased it during snowleopard. But when i go to install, it says the version installed is newer than the version i'm trying to install (but obvious). But the question is why lion version is higher than latest available on the appstore??

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because the one on the App Store is the Snow Leopard version. Lion's version comes with Lion and is different then Snow Leopards.

8. etchtech09 macrumors member

Although the main part of the question was already answered, I wanted to add one difference that I have found.

I am using '09 iMac with 10.6.8 and FaceTime 1.0.2 (downloaded from MAS) as well as a '11 MB Air with 10.7.? and FaceTime 1.1.1 (came pre-installed). For my contacts in Address Book, I am using a CardDAV server to share my contacts (setup pre-iCloud) and don't like to keep the contacts local to any of my machines (or iDevices). When I use FaceTime 1.1.1, I can see all of my contacts that reside on the server; however, when I use FaceTime 1.0.2, I can only see my locally-stored contacts.

This is annoying and I imagine it is because the version of FaceTime that you get from the MAS has to meet certain criteria and it can't access certain parts of the data from the Address Book app.

I have searched for a fix/answer, but haven't found anything yet.