FaceTime HD

Discussion in 'iPad' started by applematic, Mar 1, 2011.

1. applematic macrumors newbie

Hey just was thinking about it?....since apple put the new webcams in the new MacBook pros is there a chance we could see FaceTime HD in the iPad tomorrow? Also sorry if this has already been covered somewhere else...

2. Branskins macrumors 65816

I would hope so but Apple can be surprising in this regard...like when the iPad had 256 MB RAM and the iPhone 4 had 512 MB. I hope they include the new camera in the iPad but I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't!

3. applematic thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah my gut tells me they are just going to duplicate what's in the most recent iPod touch but then that furthers the idea that the iPad is just a big iPod touch. Something that, I'm sure, apple marketing doesn't like to hear.

4. Davichi macrumors 6502

Probably not. Apple has to save something for another iPad. Wait iPad 3 on HD camera. I would see this on iPhone 5.

5. tac22 macrumors 6502

at first i would say yes. even though the new ipad will be thinner, it will be much thicker than the anemically thin ipod touch. so it surely would have room for the slightly better res camera for HD FaceTime.

However i was thinking. if they do come out with a pro, or hd iPad in september. with a double res display, and would cost more, then maybe another up-sell to that unit will be HD FaceTime.

could go either though, however lets not make this discussion about wether there will be an HD ipad in September

6. Davichi macrumors 6502

How irony... you just did make this discussion about whether there will be iPad 3 in September or not. So, you are just going to have all the fun yourself and tell others not to discuss? Really...

7. tac22 macrumors 6502

i guess we are sorta saying the same thing. but i'm gonna have to doubt that they will fit an hd FaceTime camera in the iphone 5. not exactly necessary especially if the ipad doesn't get it and might be hard to fit a thicker camera with the same design just 1 year later. maybe we would get it with iphone 6 though, along with 4g it would be nice (if we can finally use it on a cellular network)

8. tac22 macrumors 6502

we can discuss it fine. i'm just saying there are plenty of other threads, including an active one that is already discussing it.

i have no problem with people shedding there opinion on it if its pertaining to an HD FaceTime camera. LIKE I DID. just want to keep it relevant to the main subject

9. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Good question. My guess would be no. HD facetime comes with the iPad 3 in 2012.

10. applematic thread starter macrumors newbie

See I'm so torn cause I feel like 2012 would be soo late to get it into the iPad (assuming we don't see another update in September, personally what I think would be a suicidal move by apple) but then I remember that iPhone had facetime first then iPod touch and now finally iPad, tomorrow, so I guess it would follow suit to what we have already seen (or will see tomorrow).

11. urkel macrumors 68030

Is it even possible that we WOULDNT get Facetime HD on iPad?

Facetime hardware is nothing but a rebadging of the iSight camera because despite the buzzworthy "HD" in the title, the new Macbook cameras are only 1.3MP so its not very different than the cameras we've seen for years in notebooks, cellphones, webcams, and now, iPads.

And Facetime software is simply a new chat service that has more restrictions, less features and less users than the competition. I like it just fine, but I have to say im disappointed with the Facetime App costing money yet offering no new features from the Beta.

12. cawesjmu, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Facetime HD only came in with the introduction of the newest Macbook Pros. I don't know what the megapixels are, but the Facetime HD camera will do 720p video where the older Facetime (iSight) cameras only do 480 (standard def. on iMac, MBA, Macbook) So the question is whether the iPad 2 will do 720p. I personally doubt it, but it would be nice.

13. urkel macrumors 68030

Thats what I was saying earlier. This whole "Facetime HD" stuff is just marketing because the super duper amazatron Facetime HD camera is nothing but a 1.3MP (1280×1024) webcam that shows little difference from the last gen Macbooks iSight.

And as for the older iSight camera you reference, I think it was since 07 that they had 1.3MP iSight built in but they were software limited. So overall, Facetime HD = Hype for something we already have.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I agree; I kept the beta, and will just wait for Lion to get the full version, which is included.

For me, the most disappointing thing about FaceTime is that Apple has yet to release the thing for everyone to use as they had promised during WWDC '10.