FaceTime in USA

Discussion in 'iPad' started by perry245, May 17, 2011.

1. perry245 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi so I am going to be going to Orlando in September and was wondering if it would be possible to use face time there to speaker to me family in the uk!

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

why not ... to my understanding there is no regional limitation on Facetime. The only issue might be that you need WiFi. Not sure if 3G is possible. As long as the provider don't block or throttle the traffic you should be fine ...

3. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

All you need is WiFi (assuming they don't block the required ports), you'll be OK!

4. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

you need an initial cellular connection to start facetime. so, you won't be able to facetime unless you have your data turned on in the us.

an alternative would be skype which would only use your wifi connection.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No you don't.

6. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

You are aware that facetime works on the iPad 2 wifi and iPod touches that DO NOT HAVE CELLULAR HARDWARE, right?

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Nor do Macbook's, which run Facetime too.

8. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

That is not correct. Facetime on the iPad2 or Mac's only requires a WiFi connection. I use WiFi only Facetime all the time on my iPad2 talking to other iPad 2's, iPhones and Mac's.

9. Billydelp4, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

Billydelp4 macrumors regular

Then maybe someone can explain to me why I was unable to use FaceTime when the iPhone 4 was released last summer while I was in France without my sim card in my phone. This was Prior to FaceTime being available to attach to email addresses.

"When FaceTime was introduced on the iPhone 4 earlier this year, Apple chose to integrate it with the built-in Phone app, a logical choice considering how the company wants to present it as just another type of phone call. Apple also used users’ actual cellular phone numbers from the iPhone 4 to register devices with its FaceTime servers and allow users to place calls to each other."

I get other devices go through your apple ID but the iPhone works through the phone app using the cell service to make the initial ping to another iPhone 4

Correction: after further reading I see that only the first FaceTime call requires a cellular ping to apples servers. (explains why I couldn't make a FaceTime call in Paris....I was given the phone on my way to the airport from my fiancé)

My apologies for confusion.

10. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Connect to a wifi network to avoid insane data charges and you'll be good to go for facetime. If facetime doesn't work for some reason you can use the skype app too.