FaceTime Included?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cybertron3, Jun 4, 2011.

1. cybertron3 macrumors member

I just got a new 2011 iMac 27" and I migrated from my old iMac. It was the first time I have migrated using an automatic tool and I must say it went quite smoothly. One problem I think I may have encountered is with FaceTime. I got the Beta on my old iMac and while it was cool, I didn't have anyone to FaceTime with so I never purchased the copy from the App Store when the beta ended. Now I have some friends with iPhone 4s and I would like to FaceTime with them. I was going to purchase it but I seem to have remembered that the new iMacs came with it. I tried to open the app but it just crashes. I wonder if the beta from my old iMac migrated to the new one and overwrote the built in FaceTime app.

Do the new ones come with FaceTime? If so, how can I restore just that application?

Or do I just need to buy it from the store?

TIA

2. Mac Addiction macrumors newbie

Im most likely saying that the beta migrated with the Backup. Try to open the application and go check if it has an update (if thats possible). If not, I would probably just delete the application and then purchase it.

3. morty192 macrumors regular

the app will most likely be on one of the two backup disks

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

All new Macs come with FaceTime. I dunno if you will need to re-install SL or what.

5. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

yup...just got my new imac a week ago and it has facetime

6. Bat6111 macrumors member

Bat6111

and FaceTime is newer than the one on AppStore. 1.0.3 not 1.0.2:eek:

7. Dresevski macrumors 6502

You have the applications disk that came with the computer...just install it from there and you'll be fine. I solved your problem by moving my own stuff over, allows for some cleaning up.

8. cybertron3 thread starter macrumors member

The Mac OS X install DVD only has a few applications (Address Book, iCal, iChat, iTunes, Mail, Oxford Dictionaries, Safari, X11) in addition to iPod Support, Rosetta, Quicktime 7, Additional Fonts, Language Translations and Printer Support.

The Applications Install Disc has CPU Help Files, iPhoto (disabled), iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand (disabled), Sounds and Jingles and iWeb (disabled).

No FaceTime :(

Any other ideas? It sounds like even if I buy it from the Mac App Store, it may not work since it is an older version that my computer did not come with.