facetime internationally

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lily69, Sep 18, 2010.

1. lily69 macrumors regular

I wonder if anyone have tried facetime to foreign country with success?
    I am unable to get it work. Either side shows facetime is enabled. I even tried making an international direct call several times (ouch) to my friend and switch to facetime, no luck.

I am think, the facetime using phone number to identify each other, but the phone number in settings/phone/my number has no +country code, so maybe this is an issue? I am still on 4.0.2, will upgrade to 4.1 solve the problem?

Thanks for your help.

2. Dyspareunia macrumors regular

FaceTime works fine internationally. Tried it Beijing <-> Los Angeles. Tried it Shanghai <-> Los Angeles. Tried it Taipei <-> Los Angeles. I've had FaceTime work internationally, both over Wi-Fi and 3G (requires jailbreak + addons).

It's obvious that both sides need to have iPhone 4s and at least Wi-Fi. You have to make sure your carrier in your country supports the iPhone family (iPhone/3G/3GS/4) as an official handset. When you look under Settings -> Phone -> FaceTime, check that it says: "ON" and should say something like "Your phone number will be shared with people you call with FaceTime". Ideally, the part above it that says "My Number" should show your actual subscriber phone number. If not, reboot or re-seat your SIM. If your FaceTime part when you flick it to "ON", if it happens to be off, is stuck on "Waiting for activation..." or something you need to reboot and try again. If it doesn't activate your carrier may not support it.

Oh I'm running on 4.0.1, so I don't think 4.0.2 or 4.1 will impact your problem.

3. lily69 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, both side have IP4 with facetime on and says this number is shared for facetime, but it doesn't work at all. So when you facetime with people in Beijing, does his/her phone number shows as +8613xxxx or just 13xxx? Also, does his/her phone require international phone call/SMS enabled?
    I am wondering if it shows as 13xxx, it's confused itself to be a US number.

4. Mercilesz macrumors newbie

if that person is in your phonebook, it'll show the person's name, else, prob just the real phone number