Facetime Is Cool, Pretty Impressed With It

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Velin, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Velin, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

So I just did a fresh install of iOS 8.1 on the iPhone 5s and a wifi-only iPad Air. So far, working well. Wasn't familiar with Facetime. I get a cell call, and damn if it wasn't the first time I heard the iPad ringing. My first reaction was, wtf?

Was even more surprised when I was able to answer the call on the iPad, and even conduct the call using a wifi iPad, didn't even need a headset. (I say this because I haven't researched anything concerning 8.1, I simply did the upgrade.)

So I assume this is the Facetime functionality, yes? No matter what it is, it's been working great so far, and I didn't do anything to set it up other than the fresh install and reestablish my accounts. Good job Apple.

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

Facetime is a video call. What you did with the iPad is Continuity.

3. Velin thread starter macrumors 65816

Velin

O.K. thanks. I'll need to read up on it.

4. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

And it works through FaceTime. If you disable your Apple ID in FaceTime Continuity won't work. ;)

5. fortheus macrumors regular

And it's because the cellular call option in your iPhone is active. Surprise me as well for the first time when my wife iPhone ring together with my iPhone when my friend call my number

6. spades1412 macrumors 6502

This is why I don't share iCloud accounts with my family. We all share 1 account for iTunes and App purchases. We all have separate iCloud accounts specifically for iMessages, FaceTime, & any other iCloud service we want to keep seperate.

7. kslingo macrumors member

still waiting for the day when you can do group FaceTime calls/video chats

8. DarkCole macrumors regular

DarkCole

I have a feeling that's going to be coming very soon.

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah it is pretty cool.

It was kind of surreal seeing my Macbook, iPad, and iPhone all ring at the same time after I first did the update.

10. fortheus macrumors regular

Actually I consider it as a plus for me as we share same contacts as well :). We don't have secrets to each other

11. kslingo macrumors member

Oh goodness I hope so, you can't even do it with continuity..... I hope we get the ability to dial our phones from our macs soon...

12. DiabBarca macrumors regular

DiabBarca

Well, actually you can. You'll need a relatively new Mac model running OS X Yosemite.

http://youtu.be/vmAUg6UOkeU?t=5m47s