FaceTime Issue - Black Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hankster, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Tried to FaceTime with my girlfriend to show my brother (we were all in the same room) and my screen was black. I could hear the audio but the screen was black. She could see my video feed to her iPhone but I wasn't able to see her video feed or my own video feed.

Anyone have this issue? First time this has happened and I've used FaceTime almost every day since launch. Thanks.

2. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

Happened to me yesterday for the first time...I thought it was because I hit the Facetime button the same time my wife did.

I hung up on her...she called back and I was able to accept her Facetime request. Was pretty cool as she was at home and I was at the ballpark...everyone around me was trying to catch a peek of me using it...

3. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

Hmm, so you saw the black screen but could hear the audio as if it were working? Now it works again? FaceTime has worked perfectly thus far so I'm hoping it was a fluke. We did try three times and were in the same room with an excellent WiFi connection.

4. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

Anyone else experience this "black screen" during FaceTime?

5. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

Yep...black screen with audio...ack screen, but could see the outline of the box in the corner where I should have seen myself.

6. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ummm. Sorry. But your fingers are not blocking the lens right? I don't wanna sound like an ass but things like this happen.

7. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

Happened to me the first time I tried it. My wife could see me. I could see myself in the little corner screen, I couldn't see her. I hung up and tried again and it worked fine. I suppose it is possible she accidentally was covering the camera.

8. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

Both cameras at once?? Hah...no...

Again, worked perfectly when she called back.

9. Airmark1 macrumors regular

True, it would be hard to cover both camera lenses. I suppose it is just a connection error that would be fixed with an update one day.

10. memodellocos macrumors newbie

Happened yesterday. Just got the phone last week. Like you said, my phone showed a black screen of the other end with my little screen window also being black. The other end saw me fine though.

11. sam8940 macrumors newbie

12. jshort macrumors regular

Happens to me all the time.. I have to hang up and call back.

13. psywzrd macrumors 68030

This has happened countless times to me when my gf facetimes me - black screen with my picture showing in the corner and she can hear me but I can't hear her. She usually just calls me back and it works fine. Facetime still feels very beta to me for some reason.

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Happened to me a few times on iOS 4.3. I just have to hang up and call back. But I haven't tried it on 4.3.1 yet, so not sure about that.

15. smoked macrumors regular

I'm on 4.3 and it happens to me occasionally. Just did it again. The camera switch button doesn't do anything when I get the black screen. I think it is related to 4.3. Hopefully 4.3.1 will resolve!

16. rafett macrumors newbie

Been happening to me a lot recently as well (iphone 4). Am on 4.3.1 now. Prior to 4.3 it worked every time. Have to reset the phone to get it working again.