Facetime Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knarl, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Knarl macrumors member

I can get Facetime to work with my wife's iphone 4 when we are on the same wifi at our house. But when I am on my work's wifi about 3 miles away and she is on the home wifi, it doesn't work. It always says "Facetime unavailable" after trying to connect for 10-15 seconds.

Anyone have/had this problem and/or know how to fix it?

2. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

your work probably locks the ports required for facetime to work.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The ports that you require at work could be blocked, thus not allowing you to connect.

4. Knarl thread starter macrumors member

I don't know much about ports and such - are there specific ports that need to be unblocked, or does it vary from network to network? Would I be able to ask my IT dept. to unblock them without a problem, or would that bring up security issues?

5. Jestered macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what port numbers are for Face Time, but I'm guessing the IT dept. is not going to open them up. At least every IT dept I've dealt with won't open up anything that's not needed by the company. You may have a different experience though.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I concur with this. If it is not needed for company business then my I.T department do not want to know. I guess they are scared something could break.

7. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Off Topic. First rule of starting a new job, make friends with the IT. Buy him lunch, beer whatever. Its a wonderful thing when your in good with the guy who controls everything.

Back on topic. I would just ask. They probably have it locked down to prevent streaming, chat ect. He might open a port for you, but until you ask you'll never know.

8. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil