FaceTime lasts a minute

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Derrick Velasco, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Derrick Velasco macrumors regular

My brother and I cannot FaceTime for longer than a minute. None of us are jb.
    Same with my other brother. :( My internet is fast
    [​IMG]
    Or maybe it isn't...
    is it my router? I got just a new one from Verizon.

2. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

Turn off 3g unrestrictor and/or facebreak etc when using facetime on WIFI. Or tell your brother to.

3. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

What? I'm not jailbroken and neither is he? This happens with all the iPhones I FaceTime too...

4. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

Oh thats weird then. Can your brother FaceTime to other people for over a min? If he can I would try restoring your phone as a new phone and try it again. Also DSL sucks.

5. draz macrumors 6502a

That upload and download speed is very slow.... If you have a very slow internet then it will have problems.

Might want to try and see if you can get a faster internet. Although I am not sure what the minimum upload/download speed requirement is for FaceTime.

6. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhhh wow I see. Thank you for your reply. It's the internet probably. But it works good on the computer, I hope FiOS isn't much more expensive lol

7. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Yeah 2Mbps is pretty slow, and facetime does a lot of upload, so 0.71Mbps up is quite poor also.

8. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the useful information, I really appreciate it.

9. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

Post your speedtest results from your iPhone. They could be different depending on the specs of your computer. Also run a few tests and try to get an average.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

11. draz macrumors 6502a

It appears to be fine on the computer because you are mainly just downloading there isn't much uploading when you are browsing.

There could be other factors as well such as another computer using the Internet, with a slow connection like that and the amount of bandwidth FaceTime uses, I would recommend that any computer on your line be turned off or be disconnected from the Internet.

If you still have an Unlimited data plan with AT&T you can always jailbreak your phone and purchase the app which allows you to use FaceTime over AT&T's network.. You might get better results than if you use your home internet.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

700 something for upload is not that bad... you can skype video almost perfectly w/ another person w/ just 375 just not HD. I think the problem comes with the iPhone using the same connection IP as another computer that may have been asleep then awaken or in use in your wifi network... You could try an static IP connection on the iPhone to see if it improves and also close any other electronic that might be using your internet access since they will make your upload problems worse... Are you facetiming w/ the persons on the same wifi network? what happens when you use another wifi? if it was an upload problem then the quality should be bad, not just disconnect the whole facetime conversation after the min, or is it that after 1min the quality is crap?

And yeah your internet is slow...