Facetime-less Device?!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by memko, Aug 12, 2012.

1. memko macrumors member

bought my new iPad from Dubai and to my surprise It doesn't have Facetime on-board . I'm out of Dubai now so can't return that so my question is
    1.Will a custom firmware solve that problem ? if yes a guide is needed if you please
    2. Is there a tool or patch available on Cydia for that?

any help is greatly appreciated

2. tpflysrc macrumors newbie

Is you're ipad "The New iPad"? or is it a previous model? What is the version of the os?

3. memko thread starter macrumors member

yes it's the new iPad updated to the latest iOS 5.1.1

4. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Is FaceTime legally allowed in Dubai? Some countries/provinces/etc don't allow it.

If it's not, that would explain why it's not on the iPad.

5. tpflysrc macrumors newbie

Try going to settings - FaceTime - on

6. memko thread starter macrumors member

True.Just checked that on Apple's website but I already bought that and I'm looking for a solution like an app/hack/patch/custom firmware anything that could allow me to use Facetime on it.

7. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

8. memko thread starter macrumors member

Excuse me, but what is exactly "islamic hacker hacked" googling it actually gave me nothing related to iOS??? and what about custom firmware can't that do the job ?

9. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Iphone islam! Anyways u can alway go to an apple store and get it swap to a us model if u live in the us.

10. memko thread starter macrumors member

well no I'm not in the US actually and where I live there is no actual chance to swap at the local reseller.
    Isn't iPhone islam's Facetime hacktivator for iphone only?? last time I read the description it said it was for iPhone only ?!

11. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Don't know, but u can always double check! I think no matter which firmwares you restore your ipad from facetime will not work due to the IMEI and serial number of the unit.

12. donnaw macrumors 65816

The bad news is you may not be able to get FaceTime. The good news is you may be able to download Skype. It may or may not be available from the app store you connect to. You can check and if not, find a way to connect to another store, usually from the US, Europe or Asia.

If you are still living in the middle east though, even Skype may require a VPN to connect. Some middle and near east countries block all VOIP apps hence the VPN utilizing servers in other countries. We use one that has servers in both the US and the UK. in fact, even if you do get FaceTime you may need a VPN. Do a search and you will find lots of people in the middle east and can see their solutions.

However Skype does work quite well on the iPad. If your wifi connection is not the best it actually works better than FaceTime. (my husband works in the middle east and many times we resort to Skype rather than FaceTime,)

13. memko thread starter macrumors member

That was pretty straight forward .Thank you .

14. donnaw macrumors 65816

You're welcome. Hope you find a solution that works for you. If you do, you might post back exactly what you found so others may be helped too.

Good luck