Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Good evening.

I'm on the phone w/ Apple (on hold while they ponder my situation). I do not have the FaceTime toggle switch in Settings > Phone either. I've restored with a backup, I've restored as a new iPhone, I've reset network settings, I've reset all settings, I've done airplane mode, you name it...I've done it. Apple even tried telling me there wasn't that option under settings > phone...ooops.

This being said, over the last two days I've had 3G/EDGE data issues with AT&T here in the Bronx (with both my 3GS and iP4). Could this for some reason be an issue in terms of letting the network know what phone I have, etc? This is really stumping me. Apple told me that a small text is sent out when a phone is activated to sync it with the network...my texting, calls, and wifi surfing are fine, but any time I try to access the Internet over EDGE or 3G, I hang.

Could this be causing a problem b/c the network doesn't know that I can dump a call to WiFi when a FaceTime connection is established?

DetroitBORG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
Oh Thank God you replied! I was about to do a factory reset and restore, but I knew that wouldn't solve the problem. I placed a service request with Apple, but haven't bothered calling knowing they will be inaccessible probably for days.

I thought it was strange when I saw nobody on here was reporting this problem.

Please let us know what you find out!

DetroitBORG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
No, but I was having 3G/Edge problems for 2 days on the 3GS (as in I had no service). The iPhone 4 3G service, once activated, worked fine. When I talked to AT&T yesterday, they told me it was a regional issue that would be resolved shortly, which it never was. Of course, my iPad 3G and the two other iPhones in this house also worked fine.

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Fixed:

I got it to work, and here's how:

After getting the call escalated, we worked through some things. Turns out when doing a restore in iTunes, you let it do its thing and when it comes up to the point where you can set it up as a new iPhone or from a previous backup, you disconnect the iPhone without selecting any of those options (it should be activated at that point). Bingo.

It was the backup causing a problem (from a non-jailbroken iOS 4.0 3GS). So now I gotta restore stuff by hand, but I'm fine with that as I wanted to do that in the first place!

Hope this helps.

Ian

DetroitBORG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
Fixed:

I got it to work, and here's how:

After getting the call escalated, we worked through some things. Turns out when doing a restore in iTunes, you let it do its thing and when it comes up to the point where you can set it up as a new iPhone or from a previous backup, you disconnect the iPhone without selecting any of those options (it should be activated at that point). Bingo.

It was the backup causing a problem (from a non-jailbroken iOS 4.0 3GS). So now I gotta restore stuff by hand, but I'm fine with that as I wanted to do that in the first place!

Hope this helps.

Ian

That was going to be my next step, I thought the restore may have caused the problem.

Thanks for the help!

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Post back here if it worked for you so we can consider this thread complete and one heck of a troubleshooting session...haha

Hope this works, but it was indeed the backup causing the problem. Now if I can just get AT&T to restore my damn data connections on EDGE and 3G I'd be sitting pretty.

DetroitBORG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
Yep, it worked...and it's very strange because I'm not the only one who is restoring from a 3GS iOS4 instal. I'm trying a few other things to see if I can rescue my restoration, but I doubt they'll work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.