Facetime not working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mike84, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

So, I attempted to speak to someone over the iphone's facetime feature and it wasn't even available as an option. I realized that you had to activate it, but it is still waiting for activation.

Anyone else have any of these issues?

2. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

it only works if they have an iphone 4 and you are BOTH on WIFI

3. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update

Okay, so I got it activated but it continues to fail. It may be a wifi strength issue.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

And I'm pretty sure it has to be activated so you have a phone number attached.

If your iPhone is waiting to be activated, try rebooting it. That did the trick for me.

5. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry

i just got it to work.

Apparently the wifi signal strength has something to do with whether you will facetime someone or not

6. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

me and my friend did a facetime call and it worked perfectly. Super clear picture and no lag at all.

7. tsmithgolf2000 macrumors regular

Were you guys sharing the same wireless network? I have a feeling that maybe my problem. I am trying to facetime with my wife and we are using the same wireless router at home.

8. NYRGirardi5 macrumors member

i did facetime with a friend of mine and it worked great......its awkward but cool and worked perfectly.

9. jeffpickl macrumors member

Make sure everyone in the room turns their wifi off. Too many base stations. :D

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

my facetime experience has been pretty good as well. make sure you have facetime turned on under settings, phone. it didnt work the first time i tried but afterwards it did!

11. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

did you guys restore from an old iphone when you got the iphone 4?

12. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

I can't even get it as an option in settings > phone. :( I restored from my old 3GS, I've resorted to a clean phone with no backup. Nada.

Any ideas while I wait on hold w/ Apple?

13. ducktales macrumors regular

i can't get facetime to work on my Wifi. My wife and I are on the same wifi but facetime always fails. any thoughts?

14. tsmithgolf2000 macrumors regular

Ditto for me. I just restored both of my phones and added as a new phone, hoping that would fix it and it didn't. I am at a loss.

15. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

I can't even get the damn option to turn it ON in settings > phone, much less getting a connection going.

Back on the phone w/ Apple hoping to resolve this. I wonder if the data outage in the area has affected this.

16. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

Update

I got home and tried it on my home apple airport network and it just worked.

17. Briview macrumors regular

Hopefully, it's all server issues or software problems that can be fixed for everyone easily.

Just a sort of out-of-topic note that I didn't want to make a new thread for or bump some older stuff for: We all know by now that FaceTime can be done directly with another user through contacts, but then, that just means that it doesn't use AT&T at all... you just have to have a mobile phone number. (e.g. if there is an unlock for the i4 in a week or some time, then iPhone 4 unlocked microsimed T-Mobile users can call AT&T and O2 iPhone 4s and there'll be FaceTime all across the board since carriers can be directly out of this).

EDIT:
    Wow, I've heard about this... then this means FaceTime may need to be activated first through AT&T service, in which case, the former part of this post is disregarded... oy.

18. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Activating takes a while. You need to make sur it is not activating but activated in order for it
    To work.

Settings --> phone --> FaceTime