Facetime on AT&T with unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by bueller1, Jan 15, 2013.

1. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Sorry if its been discussed a million times but is there any way I can get this working? I have unlimited data and facetime over cellular would come in handy but I refuse to switch to tiered data. Thanks

2. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

You can do it but you need an LTE phone (5 only). I've heard of people with 4s's getting away with it as well.

Or you could jailbreak.

3. bueller1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a 5. Mind telling me how? Where can I jailbreak?

4. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

It should work, try to reset network settings and enable facetime over cellular and see if the message still pops up. Also, you might have to be in an LTE zone for it to activate, if you aren't already.

5. bueller1 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Jleroy macrumors regular

Jleroy

AT&T has it blocked.

AT&T has it blocked for their most loyal and faithful that refuse to give up their unlimited data plans. There's a petition circulating but not to any beneficial results that I can see http://act.freepress.net/sign/facetime/ Free Press is gloating they got AT&T to reverse itself, but the seem to have forgotten about the unlimited data users.:mad:

7. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

It works on Net10 using AT&T's network, and it's unlimited. Well... kinda sorta unlimited, but it works.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You will have to wait for a jailbreak to come out since us unlimited data users are stuck against the greed to push us to change to tier plans.

9. guitarmandp macrumors 6502

10. bueller1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Id rather use something native that people dont have to download. Should i even expect a jailbreak for 6.1?

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

yes

12. Nimravus macrumors member

It doesn't matter if its LTE, or 4G or iPhone 5 or iPhone 4S. I have a non jailbroken 4S and can FaceTime legitimately. The thing is, AT&T blocks unlimited users from FaceTime.
    You have to have to be off their unlimited data plan. You will have to go on their Shared data plan to get FaceTime.

If you jailbreak of course you can FaceTime on unlimited plan.

I had unlimited data for $30/m but the detriments outweighed the benefits and I switched to shared data. Once I switched to shared 4gb plan (I only 1 phone on my account) FaceTime works. I actually save money this way rather than having unlimited. Since for $69 (-20% for just telling them I work for a school, they give company discounts) for unlimited call/text +$40 for shared data my bill comes to around $95/m.

On unlimited I had only 1400 minutes for $60, $20 for text and $30 for data so I was paying about $10 more on unlimited.

Yes I only get 4gb but I haven't come close to going over. I make a conscious point to DL podcasts or music on wifi, do app updates on wifi, etc. and with TWC free wifi, Starbucks, target etc etc my area is blanketed in free wifi.

So to your question, for now if you want FaceTime over cellular you have to get off unlimited or jailbreak.

13. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Never heard of AT&T just taking someones "word" for it they work for a school, and pop a 20% discount on the plan.

Sorry, not buying it.

Now, going to the webpage, and legitimately putting in a corp. or school email addy so AT&T can verify- thus adding the fan, OK.

and OP, no, I have unlimited as well and FT is a no go.

14. Nimravus, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

Nimravus macrumors member

Tigres,
    Dang. People are just so hostile here lol. No everyone's experience is going to be the same as yours. Or mine. Or anyone's. I've done similar things with customer service before. For example, I called to cancel my Sirius subscription for my car. I called like 5 times until someone finally offered me 6 months for $25 deal. So yeah, your experience is not written in stone for everyone.

Have you NEVER gotten a better deal than you should have? If not, I feel bad for you. If you have, then I'm sure someone out there wouldn't believe it too. Sad, that we are so hostile to one another... can't we all...just get along? LOL...

The AT&T guy at one of their stores moved me from the Kmart corporate Discount to a School discount because it was more of a savings. And I personally could care less if you believe me. I'm sure my experiences are different from yours and different from others. So I don't doubt anything people say unless I can prove them wrong.

I was just merely trying to help by clarifying the stupid (in my opinion) move that AT&T has done blocking unlimited users from FaceTime.

15. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Didn't think I was hostile; sorry you took offense.
    Just don't know it's fair someone can just claim they work for a school or Kmart and get a discount- like you post claims.

16. Nimravus macrumors member

So you have always played by the rules? sort of speak... For everything in life? never had anything that someone might consider "unfair"? If a Police Officer pulls you over for speeding, or no seat belt or whatever, and he says he should give you a ticket but he's letting you off with a warning... are you that one person that would insist that's not right and to get the ticket? Comon...

Its funny that when you get something great its ok but when they see others get something you didn't all of the sudden "FOUL"! LOL....

Anyway, maybe we should get back to the topic. I believe the only way to get FaceTime over cellular with AT&T is to jailbreak or not be on their "Unlimited" plan...

Their tactics worked on me, throttling and eliminating FaceTime made me switch to their Mobile Share Plan. Thumbs down to AT&T, I've been with them since they were L.A. Cellular back in the 90's, through Cingular, and now AT&T... and they do this to the most loyal customers. Boooo.

Tigres, we shouldn't be arguing with each other, we need to unite and fight AT&T! :D

----------

Oh, and to clarify, I actually did work for Kmart as an LPDM. That's why I was on their Kmart corporate discount. When I as in an ATT store one time, the guy at the store searched around for a better discount for me and put in a fan code into the computer for schools. This was probably 4 years ago so things may have changed? Maybe there is a more stringent process that you describe of now... I don't know.

17. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

You need to switch to Sprint, it works just fine with them.

You need to switch to Sprint Unlimited, It works just fine with their IPhone 5 on IOS 6.02. Have not yet tried it on 6.1 however as I promised my family (who bought this Device for me for Christmas) that I would leave my Apple Developer Program Beta's off of the Device.