FaceTime = "On". Higher battery drain?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kadin, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I assume something is running when the device is sleeping to allow a call to come in, right?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Good question. It appears that the answer is yes, having FaceTime enabled DOES increase battery usage -- how much depends on your carrier/network configuration and how good your connection to the Internet is at any given point in time. Each time your device connects to the Internet, if FaceTime is enabled, it "phones home" to tell Apple's servers what external IP address you're currently located at. The more times your device has to reconnect -- either because you're in a bad coverage area or because you keep moving around -- the more energy this process uses.

But when your iPad is asleep, there are all kinds of background processes running -- new e-mail checks, application badge notifications, etc. FaceTime is but one of these processes.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2607386&start=0&tstart=0

3. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Luckily I'm only using this at home via wifi for the time being. I disable notifications and push email. I'm a battery monitoring crazy person, lol. Just wondering if it will help to turn it off. Sounds like it will thanks!

4. yoli macrumors newbie

yoli

Hi guys, I've read different things opinions about this.

So does Facetime in standby (not using it) consume any battery or not?

In theory, the most logical thing is that it is asleep, and woken up by Apple servers only if someone calls you, isn't it?

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

I guess the more important question is whether the higher battery drain would affect you. I keep everything on and my iPhone 5 lasts me till night; hence, I never worry.

Would it use more battery? Yes. Would it be significant? There are many factors but I haven't found it to be.