FaceTime on iMac problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ukwildcat, Feb 24, 2011.

1. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

So, I installed FaceTime 1.0 on my iMac running snow leopard. Install went fine, but FaceTime will not work. I keep getting a message that the camera is in use by another application. I can find no other application running. I've restarted the system. I've reinstalled FaceTime. Nothing changes. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

2. ukwildcat thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Does the camera work in iChat or Photo Booth?

Also, check your Dashboard widgets. Lots of iTunes problems have their sources there, it's possible one of them is trying to grab the camera or something.

jW

4. sanhodo macrumors newbie

5. davids8477 macrumors 6502

I have had similar problem with the camera and Skype.

Here's what I did - don't ask why, but it worked.

I opened Quicktime and recorded a short (1 sec) movie using Isight camera.
    Stopped the recording and deleted it.

Then Skype worked with the camera.

Might be worth a try.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

So I just discovered that my problem with Facetime (not exactly the same, but possibly related) was due to a problem with the com.apple.iChatAgent.plist file in my user library. Once I delete that file, or rather a particular entry in the file, FaceTime launched and worked perfectly. You can try just deleting that plist and see if it helps.

jW

7. ukwildcat thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, none worked. I called Applecare, and did a hard reset. I had never heard of this. Shut down iMac, unplugged power cord, held power button for 10 seconds, plugged power cord back in, and restarted the iMac. Everything works now. Weird. I have no idea what was going on. iChat and Photobooth also would not work as they kept saying the camera was in use by another application. Happy everything works now. Thanks to everyone.