FaceTime on iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by flipster, Mar 8, 2011.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

So, I'm really a computer person (I'm very knowledgeable about compuers :D), and always hangs around the macbook pro/imac forum so sorry if this has already been asked!

I don't know much about the camera that their going to use on the iPad 2 -- at least I couldn't find much information on it.

My question was about FaceTime (video chat thing). My and my friend were planning to pick up iPad 2's around May but we are mainly going to get it for the facetime feature. Now I heard that facetime hd is like .99 so I have no problem paying for that.

I understand the back camera is 720p -- but what about the front camera?

My main concern is that the video will be choppy and laggy/ugly. Any insight on this? Please make my day and tell me that the video quality will be very good!

2. tac22 macrumors 6502

The back is 720p but the front is just standard definition.

That being said with my experience of using FaceTime alot (with my sister traveling in Europe no less) it isn't choppy or laggy at all. Sure it's not hd, but otherwise apple does a good job with quality.
    Plus it's really easy to call people.

Hope I helped a little

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

This is the answer.

You might as well close the thread now before a bunch of jokers start spreading FUD.

4. Karr271 macrumors regular

I've used facetime a lot, It's great. It has great video quality even though the front facing camera is VGA (640x480) The video isn't choppy or laggy, and even works great over a 3g wifi hot spot. Facetime HD is an app that's only available for macs in the mac app store. Since new macbooks have facetime HD camera, they can video chat in HD but only to devices with facetime HD cameras too. Any other devices will limit the video to 640x480. But don't worry, the resolution isn't major as major as a good, solid internet connection is so it won't be laggy or choppy.