FaceTime on ipad2 how well does it work?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by steffi, Aug 7, 2011.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

Any opinions on how well FaceTime works on ipad2?

My father and I use Skype on pc to Mac and its less than optimal.

I'm thinking of giving him and iPad 2 to use for this.

iPod touch is also an option but it's not dual core so I figure iPad2 is better?

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I find facetime to have better quality video and audio.

As far as an ipod touch or and ipad 2?

The dual core doesn't matter if facetime is your main reason to buy, and an ipod touch can be a lot less expensive. However, if your going to get an ipod touch I would wait till next month, new dual core ones are likely to be announced.

Honestly, if money isn't a problem though, the ipad 2 would be a great buy for your dad.

3. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

yep agreed facetime worked just as good on an ipad 2 as with my macbook so its worth it.... but like it was mentioned if you jsut want to facetime get an ipod touch next month......and save about 250 dollars.

4. 66775 macrumors member

Use Facetime twice to three times a week from my iPad2 to my bro's iPhone 4 and it really works amazingly. The picture quality on my end is not the best (he has a relatively weak internet connection), but no worse than what we used to have using Skype. The real plus for me, although I don't know if I can generalize about that, is that we don't experience some of the cuts or 'interference' periods (we usually spend 45min to 1h per session) we used to have with Skype.

That being said, I'd like to know some of the reasons you think your Skype experience was not optimal, cause you might be able to fix it and wouldn't have to spend your cash on another hardware purchase.

5. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

Recently facetimed between 2 x ipad2's (new York @ Stockholm) and the quality really blew me away.

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Facetime video quality is noticeably better than Skype's using the same device and same connection. I've been pleasantly surprised with Facetime.

The only thing is that the iPad 2 camera quality could be better, but I'm nto complaining too much.

7. chuxdaddy macrumors member

chuxdaddy

Facetime works great on Ipad2. I live in the United States and my wife is in the Philippines. I use the the yahoo messenger program on my ipad, she uses the same program on a pc. The video and audio quality on the ipad was clear. Now I can chat with her whereever I go as long as I have wifi.

8. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Let me put it this way: I could count on one hand how many times I have used my iPhone 4 for FaceTime. On my iPad 2, I use it instead of my phone whenever possible and do a FaceTime call. It's really nice if you have friends/family that you don't get to see in person that often.