iPod touch FaceTime on the iPod

Mr Slippy IV

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
Vail, AZ
So, we've heard about FaceTime coming to the iPod touch, but what about an internal microphone for FaceTime? The service isn't complete simply with a front-facing camera, so what else can we expect from the newest entry in the Book of Jobs?

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
Just a little thing about , as we have been finding out to our surprise since it was released here.

Currently when you activate a facetime call it actually sends out a SMS message to a server via 'cellular data'. Regardless of the fact that you have to run it on Wifi officially.

Therefore the chances of facetime being available on the new iPod unless they change the current way face time operates is pretty low seeing as though it doesn't have cellular data, hence can't send the SMS to the server.

xxNinjaxx

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
Most likely, if it has facetime/camera then it will have to have a microphone.. otherwise Apple would look dumb.. lol. :D

Haxoware

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
Just a little thing about , as we have been finding out to our surprise since it was released here.

Currently when you activate a facetime call it actually sends out a SMS message to a server via 'cellular data'. Regardless of the fact that you have to run it on Wifi officially.

Therefore the chances of facetime being available on the new iPod unless they change the current way face time operates is pretty low seeing as though it doesn't have cellular data, hence can't send the SMS to the server.
Well I Don't Have sms i call ATT and block it I can not get or send sms
and i still do facetime on my iphone 4

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee

The ipod touch can send SMS equivalents that would work with facetime most likely. There are SMS apps in the app store after all.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
I think it is time for Apple to put in a microphone on the touch, it costs about $1-2 in component costs so I don't see why not.

d4nn0

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
Canada
I agree that the addition of a camera will necessitate a microphone, however, I think that the timing is right. Obviously I would've loved to have a mic in order to Skype, however, from a marketing perspective it makes no sense.

-Danno

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
So, we've heard about FaceTime coming to the iPod touch, but what about an internal microphone for FaceTime? The service isn't complete simply with a front-facing camera, so what else can we expect from the newest entry in the Book of Jobs?
It should if it has facetime. They cant think we would constantly wear those ridiculous earphones. If it doesnt have an internal mic, but does have FaceTime, they will have to include an external mic, that isnt the headphones.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
It should if it has facetime. They cant think we would constantly wear those ridiculous earphones. If it doesnt have an internal mic, but does have FaceTime, they will have to include an external mic, that isnt the headphones.
How would that work? We plug in a mic and hold it up as we talk? Not apple like at all...