FaceTime on the iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mr Slippy IV, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

So, we've heard about FaceTime coming to the iPod touch, but what about an internal microphone for FaceTime? The service isn't complete simply with a front-facing camera, so what else can we expect from the newest entry in the Book of Jobs?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just a little thing about , as we have been finding out to our surprise since it was released here.

Currently when you activate a facetime call it actually sends out a SMS message to a server via 'cellular data'. Regardless of the fact that you have to run it on Wifi officially.

Therefore the chances of facetime being available on the new iPod unless they change the current way face time operates is pretty low seeing as though it doesn't have cellular data, hence can't send the SMS to the server.

3. xxNinjaxx macrumors newbie

Most likely, if it has facetime/camera then it will have to have a microphone.. otherwise Apple would look dumb.. lol. :D

4. Haxoware macrumors member

Well I Don't Have sms i call ATT and block it I can not get or send sms
    and i still do facetime on my iphone 4

5. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

The ipod touch can send SMS equivalents that would work with facetime most likely. There are SMS apps in the app store after all.

6. MCRunning macrumors 6502

This

7. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

I think it is time for Apple to put in a microphone on the touch, it costs about $1-2 in component costs so I don't see why not.

8. d4nn0 macrumors member

d4nn0

I agree that the addition of a camera will necessitate a microphone, however, I think that the timing is right. Obviously I would've loved to have a mic in order to Skype, however, from a marketing perspective it makes no sense.

-Danno

9. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

It should if it has facetime. They cant think we would constantly wear those ridiculous earphones. If it doesnt have an internal mic, but does have FaceTime, they will have to include an external mic, that isnt the headphones.

10. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

How would that work? We plug in a mic and hold it up as we talk? Not apple like at all...

11. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

No. Im pretty sure it would be able to sense audio just as well as an internal mic.