FaceTime on the NEW AIR HD or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GadgetGeek407, Jul 29, 2011.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I have read conflicting reports about if the new AIR models have FaceTime in HD or not? what is the real difference and is it notable cause i have the 13 pro i7 and cannot really tell the difference compared to my 13 pro model before this one...

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

+1

3. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

its worse than my old 06' MBP. but i never use it so don't care.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Actually yes FaceTime on the 2011 MacBook Air is capable of HD. The built-in isight is not capable HD so you would need to use a USB camera that is HD capable.

5. PaulWog Suspended

It's capable of projecting an image at 2560x1440 resolution, but that doesn't really matter at all: the native resolution is not HD, so it's simply expanding a low-res picture. It'd be like finding a thumbnail picture and expanding it 5 times in size. You don't get any more detail. You simply blow up a low-detail picture in size, so it's a large low-detailed picture.

The FaceTime camera is decent at best. And not good at worst. I wouldn't call it bad... it's just a notch up from that.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

The FaceTime software and the iSight camera are two separate things. Like I previously said the FaceTime software is fully HD but to achieve that you have to use an external USB HD camera. I never said that the iSight camera was HD, in fact I even said that the iSight camera was not capable of HD. The OP asked if FaceTime was capable of HD not if the iSight was capable of HD. I answered the question he asked and the question that he didn't but intended to.

7. PaulWog Suspended

It is very obvious that the original poster is asking if the FaceTime camera is capable of HD video: And it's not. Your answer was misleading in the way you articulated yourself.

On Apple's website, they refer to the "iSight" as you call it as a "FaceTime Camera": http://www.apple.com/ca/macbookair/specs.html. So I don't know where you're getting this "iSight" terminology from: that said, I'm a new Apple purchaser, so maybe there is an alternative name for the camera. However, I've never heard the term "iSight" when reading my Air's manual. I've only seen the camera referred to as "FaceTime Camera".

So, for future reference, don't refer to a piece of hardware as software. If you say "FaceTime", when we're talking about hardware, don't follow up with a defensive post at me because you were talking about software when you referred to the word "FaceTime".

It's rather obvious that when you hook an HD camera up to a computer that you can get an HD picture... I think even computer dummies know that.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

It was not misleading. I told him what everyone else was failing to tell him including yourself. It's not my fault that my answer was more accurate.

Is it really that hard to Google the word iSight? The word iSight was the original name for any Apple webcam, internal or external, since 2003. Only recently has Apple started calling it the FaceTime camera. To distinguish the camera specifically it can be referred to as the iSight camera.

Interesting, so you are saying that you don't have a software application on your computer named FaceTime?

If you do not like how I answered the OP's question then tough let him deal with it and let me deal with my posts. The OP may appreciate knowing that the FaceTime software is capable of HD and that the built-in FaceTime (iSight) camera is not capable of HD but that he can get HD with an external USB HD camera.

Actually there are many people in the world that would not know that and have no idea what the specs even mean.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to attack me or correct me when I was not wrong. I know what the OP was asking so I answered his question and added additional information that I felt was pertinent.

9. PaulWog, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

PaulWog Suspended

Fact of the matter is this: You're getting into an internet rage here, and spamming the OP's thread. You failed to call the camera what it is: It's a FaceTime camera. It's not an iSight camera. That would be like calling an i7 processor a Core 2 Duo. You're simply wrong. And finally, the OP was asking if the FaceTime camera can do HD Video: It can't. Getting off-topic talking about how the FaceTime software can handle HD video is blatantly obvious. If you feel it isn't, then well... I'm blank for words.

Others have answered the OP quite clearly and concisely, soooo no worries. He was asking about the difference between his two laptop models... put two and two together: they use the same software, so guess what he was talking about? The hardware! ^_^

10. brand, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

brand macrumors 601

brand

This is my last post in this thread. I was not wrong and you are the one who has been spamming the OP's thread not I. You are the one who responded to my thread. I never responded to your original thread. The camera can be referred to as either a FaceTime camera or an iSight camera. They are the same thing, you might think otherwise but you would be wrong. Instead of researching this you would rather try to show how smart you think you are by posting here accusing others of being wrong even when their answer was more correct than yours. The OP never specifically mentioned camera in the title or post. I know that he was implying camera so I answered that and then threw in additional information about the FaceTime software for him. You come off as an forum troll and accusing others of being wrong even when you admit you are new to Macs and do not know about the terminology I used. You need to get a life and stop being a forum troll that antagonizes others.

11. Borjan macrumors regular

Brand, I agree with you completely in the way you answered the question.