FaceTime - Originating on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by piratemc74, Sep 5, 2011.

1. piratemc74 macrumors member

I have a MBA and iMac, both running Lion. I also have iPhone 4. I have different email's setup for the notification for all 3. I'm able to call from MBA and iMac to each other, and to the iPhone. Here's my issue:

When I try to originate a call from the iPhone to either the MBA or iMac, I get a "call failed". Am I supposed to be able to do this? Thanks for your help!

2. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

It works for me. I can call an ipad from phone and computer, computer to iphone, iphone to computer all methods. I would just try it again.

3. piratemc74 thread starter macrumors member

What's your setup?

Do you use the same appleID for "account" on each device, with different emails, or, different applied on each device, or ??? Thanks....

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've found it really depends on the router/network. My wife and I can call my in-laws but it takes forever to connect (does the same thing to Skype). If they call us though, it connects very quickly. However, I have no problems FaceTime calling my friend in another state or vice versa.

5. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

well the apple ID's are different the phone uses the number and my computer uses the email address. my girlfriends ipad uses a different apple ID of course. but whats weird is my email is still linked with my phone therefore if someone facetimes me it can either be answered by iphone or macbook pro

6. piratemc74 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, looking for unique rings

So, I have each device using the same appleid but different 'caller id' email, so I get a unique ring. Seems to be working now.