Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
Hello, I recently found an article about how we may see FaceTime over 3G in iOS 5. There is also a picture detailing it. Here is the article: http://9to5mac.com/2011/06/08/facetime-looks-to-go-3g-in-ios-5-up-to-carriers-to-enable/

You can remake the picture that is shown by turning off WiFi, turn on Airplane Mode and then go to FaceTime settings and that will pop-up. I hope you found this interesting to read and share your ideas about this and why FaceTime was disabled in beta 2. Personally I think this is why FaceTime was disabled in beta 2.

Attachments

• facetime-3g-604x700.jpg
    facetime-3g-604x700.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 165

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I find this curious as well. I would definitely use this if it was included in ios5. Wifi is just too constricting. My gf could be on her laptop while I'm out and about.

But then again, we can do that now with skype... but I hate needing to be logged in to skype. It's such a battery hog.

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
I find this curious as well. I would definitely use this if it was included in ios5. Wifi is just too constricting. My gf could be on her laptop while I'm out and about.

But then again, we can do that now with skype... but I hate needing to be logged in to skype. It's such a battery hog.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I currently use tango so I can call people on android, but it doesn't, "just work." hopefully we'll see in iOS 5 beta 3. :)

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
Any other ideas or thoughts? I guess we'll find out tomorrow because that's when iOS 5 beta 3 is suppose to be released.

openendstraight

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
La Vegas
Apple is not the one who prevents FaceTime over 3G. It is the carriers that don't want it allowed. I think we will see FaceTime over 3G once the carriers get enough people off of unlimited data.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Apple is not the one who prevents FaceTime over 3G. It is the carriers that don't want it allowed. I think we will see FaceTime over 3G once the carriers get enough people off of unlimited data.

I was just about to mention this. We jailbroke and were able to use 3G FaceTime so it's definitely not the lack of ability for Apple to implement it. The carriers got pissy and weren't cool with it. iOS5 won't guarantee anything, we have to see what the carriers say.

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008

And so Apple disabled that functionality, so at the end of the day it was Apple who prevented us from using FaceTime over 3G. If Apple now made deals with carriers, I can see them enabling the feature in iOS 5.

Don't get me wrong, Apple is not "at fault" here, but whether FaceTime over 3G is possible is ultimately in their hands.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
And so Apple disabled that functionality, so at the end of the day it was Apple who prevented us from using FaceTime over 3G. If Apple now made deals with carriers, I can see them enabling the feature in iOS 5.

Don't get me wrong, Apple is not "at fault" here, but whether FaceTime over 3G is possible is ultimately in their hands.

Or us, if we jailbreak. :D

openendstraight

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
La Vegas

I didn't say Apple isn't in control of the feature, just that they don't care if you can or can't. The carries told they not to make it possible, so don't blame Apple, blame your carrier.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I don't understand why they allow skype, fring, and tango to video chat over 3g but not facetime. Seems like apple has a lawsuit on their hands.

mrockm01

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
NC
I don't understand why they allow skype, fring, and tango to video chat over 3g but not facetime. Seems like apple has a lawsuit on their hands.

It is not built in so it is harder to get it to work. Plus most of the iPhone community doesn't know that, while they know about FaceTime

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
I think the difference now is that Apple has more control over the networks whereas before the networks controlled them. Apple can do pretty much whatever they want now.

canvasback13

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
i facetime over 3g almost daily in my office. My 2 1/2 year son facetimes me every morning. (with his mothers help) I can't belive how well it works, I can't tell the difference between 3G and wifi. It was one of the things that got me to jailbreak.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

Are you kidding me? So you think Apple should be sued for not allowing YOU to FT over 3G? Really? Please tell me what else YOU think you're entitled to?

Some people. :rolleyes:

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
No, I think Apple should sue AT&T for allowing similar services over 3G while not allowing facetime. Learn to read.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Are you kidding me? So you think Apple should be sued for not allowing YOU to FT over 3G? Really? Please tell me what else YOU think you're entitled to?

Some people. :rolleyes:

i can't believe someone negged you for this comment.

i completely agree, and this is what's wrong with America. suing everyone and everything for anything. smh

French

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
I thought I had read somewhere that it is possible to Facetime over 3G on AT&T but that Verizon had not yet agreed.

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
I thought I had read somewhere that it is possible to Facetime over 3G on AT&T but that Verizon had not yet agreed.

I read the same thing about a month ago. Of course nothing is set in stone until iOS5 actually gets released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.