FaceTime over 3G without Jailbreaking your iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scootaru, Aug 18, 2010.

1. scootaru macrumors 6502

If you are afraid of jailbreaking your new iPhone 4 for fear of voiding your warranty and you have an old iPhone 3G or 3GS lying around that you are willing to jailbreak, you can follow these instructions to use FaceTime over 3G.

What I used:

iPhone 4 with data plan
    Jailbroken iPhone 3G
    2 standard SIMs
    MyWi app

1. I traced the MicroSIM from my iPhone 4 onto a standard SIM and cut it out so the MicroSIM fit into the standard SIM. Basically, this was a cheap MicroSIM to SIM adapter. I made sure to cut so the pins would line up. I had to use a piece of scotch tape to hold the MicroSIM in place. To test, I put it into my 3G and it connected to the 3G network.

MicroSIM adapter.PNG

2. I cut the other standard SIM so that it would fit into my iPhone 4's MicroSIM tray. This is just a dummy SIM. Again, I made sure I cut so the pins lined up. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but this SIM was from my old iPhone 3G. To test, I put this in my iPhone 4 and made sure the "No SIM" message went away. It was replaced with "No Service".

fake MicroSIM.PNG

3. On the jailbroken iPhone 3G, I launched the MyWi app and created a wifi hotspot to which I connected my iPhone 4.

4. That's it! My wife intitiated a FaceTime call and it worked!

The only stipulation is it has to be a FaceTime call. When my wife called my number, it rang on my 3G. It has to be a FaceTime call from the start and it will go to the iPhone 4. I tested this out and it works great.

2. chembox macrumors 6502a

Technically, there is still a jailbreak process involved, but I guess if you don't want to void the warranty on your new iPhone and haven't sold your older iPhone, this would be the optimal way to do it.

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

So basically your just tethering the iPhone via wifi? Yeah I do this with my iPad to download things over 3G that apple won't normally allow.

4. scootaru thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, pretty much. The iPhone 4 needs the dummy SIM though in order to work, otherwise, it detects no SIM and won't allow FaceTime to be initiated.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So its a nice and easy solution I see:D
    I'd stick with my JB i4 and using 3Gunrestrictor. Thanks.

6. scootaru thread starter macrumors 6502

I took the cheap route. I suppose you could buy the Micro SIM and Micro SIM adapter on ebay for a couple bucks.

7. barachus macrumors regular

such a quick and elegant solution

sooo much quicker than simply turning on my3g and clicking facetime:D

8. SeniorGato1 macrumors regular

Jailbreaking is legal and only involves software modification which can be reversed via a restore.

This is too much of a hassle and unnecessary.

9. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

so your solution is to carry around devices? doesnt make sense, just JB the iP4

10. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

There are a lot of wussies out there who are afraid to jailbreak, still ignorantly thinking that Apple could find out or that the process isn't easily reversible.

11. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

+1
    wouldnt it cost more with the OP's plan??

12. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

yea but theyre still jailbreaking another iphone and then carrying around 2 for whatever reason :confused:

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

You'd be better off doing it directly on the iPhone 4, since the upload is way faster on that device. I regularly get 1.5+ mbps and the chip is supposed to be capable of 5.8mbps ul. The 3G and 3Gs were limited to 384kbps upload.

14. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Or you could just jailbreak, then restore if you need to take your phone to Apple. Duh. :D

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, upload is way faster on the i4 than any other cellphone I used before.