FaceTime over 4g

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BFW122083, Mar 9, 2012.

1. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

Sucks it wasn't mentioned in the Keynote at all, which means the carriers still don't want it enabled. At this point this should definitely be enabled! We can stream 1080p videos all day long, but we can't make a FaceTime call? Anyone else kinda wish this was an option this go around? It could be an advantage to AT&T or Verizon if one of them chose to enable it and not the other....

2. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

The speed is definitely there now finally, i just think our data plans aren't quite there yet. Sending and receiving video and audio will eat up your data really quick, it would be nice to just be able to have a 45 second conversation over facetime anytime, maybe it will be a feature of the new iPhone?

Although you'll be able to skype at anytime, which is convenient

3. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

Before iOS 5 came out I used to jailbreak all my iDevices. I had FaceTime over 3g on my i4. I didn't use it all the time, but like you said it was nice to be out somewhere and FaceTime my wife for her opinion on something to pick up. I didn't use it for long calls, just a quick "hey look at this". Or be at the park with the kids and FaceTime my father 700 miles away and let him watch them running around playing. I know everyones situations and needs are different and not like mine, but I would love the feature without having to use Skype :).

4. profets macrumors 68040

When they first introduced FaceTime I always assumed they didn't want to upset carriers too much by enabling it over 3G. But with time my opinion slowly changed that it might be more with the experience of it - 3G isn't always reliable and I don't think they want people to have a poor experience with FaceTime.

Having said that, while I travelled in Europe I had solid 3G data and used FaceTime quite often to call home (jailbroke temporarily to enabled FaceTime over 3G). I found it interesting - Internet, messages and phone calls were all possible just with a data connection. Imagine FaceTime without the video? Basically the ability to make phone calls without relying on old telephone numbers and an archaic way for carriers to hold us back from jumping around more often.

I think when LTE is more widespread they'll introduce FaceTime over 4G. I would almost argue the largest advantage of LTE over HSPA is very low latency, and it'll do wonders for something like FaceTime. That's my guess anyway, that we'll see FaceTime over LTE with the next iPhone.

5. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

selling

I wish video calls didn't eat data plans. It would definitely promote the usage and motivate people to embrace the future!

6. Zcott macrumors 68020

It doesn't eat data that much. FaceTime calls are 3mb/min.

7. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, and when I was jailbroken and used FaceTime over 3G I never went over my 2GB :). I know some people would, but its their responsibility to monitor it.

8. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Facetime is actually pretty much a work-around tech since US carriers don't use 3G video communications. When I was able to video call in HK, they charged a specific rate for video calls. The calls were decent and the video was ok at VGA resolution. I still use Skype vs Facetime due to latency and reliability. Skype is the best software to use for now.

9. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

Yeah its crazy, i remember everywhere over seas they charged video calls as a completely different item compared to data

10. theConvinced macrumors member

I have been using FaceTime with my iPad 2 since its release with no issues via VZW mifi 4G. I have never noticed an unsual uptick in data consumtion either. I use it when I travel back and forth from CA to AZ so only on weekends for the most part. About the only time I come close to my 5GB cap is when I stream the NBC NFL game to my MBA while I wait at the airport. I think it took a few GB's for the 2 hours wait time.