FaceTime over a Low Bandwidth Connection. How?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mikebike125, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I am trying to communicate with my son who is away with Facetime but he has a lower bandwidth connection than I do. The picture is jumping because it is too much information for his internet connection.

Is there anyway that I can lower the screen resolution or Frame rate so that the picture becomes smoother??
    I am using an iMac he is using an iPod Touch.

2. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No, FaceTime automatically reduces the framerate and quality based on the connection speed/bandwidth.

You both could try Skype. The quality is lower to start and should result in a smoother picture at least. It may not be any better if his connection is really that bad.

4. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

My mother-in-law (where he was staying over that weekend) has a very slow connection. I don't even think Apple envisioned one being this slow. Possibly the Skype will work but if FT actually slows the frame rate by itself, then maybe that is as good as it possibly can get.

5. aniketroxx macrumors member

aniketroxx

lol i once tried facetime at my freinds home , His connection is 128kbps . It was bit laggy but was ok . Image quality was not so great . I think it atleast needs 512kbps connection to get better picture and audio quality :eek: