FaceTime Over Cellular Uses 3.45 MB/Minute.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Prof., Sep 19, 2012.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I FaceTimed with my BF while walking home from work. After a quick calculation, I've determined that it uses 3.45 megabytes of data every minute. Just thought y'all would like to know. :)

2. nickn macrumors 6502

Wow, that is extremely low!! I was expecting at least around 5-10mb per minute per person, not even near what you gave for both directions.

3. wlow3 macrumors regular

So let's do the math ...

If it's 3.45 MB/minute, then that means 10 minutes would be 34.5 MB and 100 minutes would be 345 MB and 1000 minutes would be 3450 MB, but since AT&T starts throttling at amounts over 3000 MB (3 GB) for "unlimited" plans then the most FaceTime minutes I could expect is 870 minutes per month.

Now if I slash that in half to free up data for other activities, that means one could still use FaceTime in minutes nearly as much as the basic monthly *Voice* plans permit (here: 435 minutes worth) and still have plenty of data left for email, web browsing, etc.

Yet AT&T won't let us use FaceTime over cellular without moving to a more expensive shared data plan because the more likely real use amount that people would gravitate to (say, 40 minutes per month, i.e., less than 200 MB) would somehow overtax their network?

4. unigolyn macrumors member

Jesus Christ!

I'm in Estonia and our throttle starts at 15 GB for 3G unlimited, 30 GB for 4G.

5. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Over Wi-Fi, data usage during FaceTime is 11MB per minute...:eek:

6. cynics macrumors G3

I used it the other day on Verizon's terrible 3G and at .66 mbs down and .60 mbs up FaceTime still worked. I was surprised actually of the quality considering.

7. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Wonder what the quality is like on AT&.... oh wait.