Facetime over Mobile Network not just WiFi ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, May 3, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I don't own an iPhone 4 yet, but like the idea of Facetime, for my Wife and kids, but heard it only works over WiFi ? Where as the Nexus-S it works over anything, Wifi...3g...4G...

Is there a way to get Facetime to work over the mobile network ?

Thanks

2. Passlogix macrumors newbie

You have to jailbreak it. And install My3G. I use facetime over 3g all the time. It works pretty good.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

This. My3G also will trick the phone into allowing downloads over 20Mb from the iTunes store, which is what I mostly use it for (big updates).

4. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Theres plenty of apps that allow you to video chat over 3G. Tango, Skype, Frig, yahoo messenger...

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

From my testing, and others that have tested, it seems that FaceTime is usually the best in concerning of quality of video/audio.
    But if you can't use it, Skype & Tango are pretty good as well.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apple artificially limits FaceTime to only work over Wi-Fi due to its agreements with carriers.

11 months ago Apple said that FaceTime would be an open standard that could be implemented by anyone - that hasn't happened yet, which would have been the easiest way to get FaceTime over 3G.

7. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

I used to worry about Facetime not supporting 3G, but all the people I know that do videochat use Skype. Today I have not meet anyone that uses facetime.

You say facetime works on the nexus-s... Facetime is exclusive to iOS. You must be using an Android app and confusing it with Facetime.

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

The biggest advantage FaceTime has over Skype is that with Skype you have to have it running on your phone in order to receive a call (Skype is a notorious batter drainer too). I understand that FaceTime requires the other person to have an iphone 4, ipod touch that supports FaceTime or a Mac, but that's not a problem for me since all of the people I facetime with have the necessary hardware. I have family going to Europe this summer and they can easily get in touch with me via FaceTime as long as they have wifi and I know that they will. With Skype it would be a real pain to communicate since there's no way I can leave Skype running all the time on my phone.

9. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes you are right, I meant Gtalk;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJAiH5-64sI&feature=player_embedded

10. chadam macrumors member

chadam

So far, FT is amazing over 3g thanks to some great hacks in cydia. However, Still a bit frustrated as well as miffed that I cannot make and take FT over bluetooth. I have a Jawbone Icon, works amazing with my iP4 for listening and talking to pretty much all aps other than FT, I wish we could solve this issue and get FT to work over BT. I find FT to be frustrating having everyone hear my conversation over speakerphone rather doing it over BT. has anyone found a way to make FT work over BT with their Jawbone Icon?

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Hello, its very nice to meet you. I use FaceTime every day with my family and a few friends in other states.

Another note of point, I don't understand why people are so afraid to see people and talk to them. People would rather text then merely call someone up and say "hi". Are we becoming anti-social?

And I've found the more we use FaceTime, the more a normal phone call seems...less. It did take about 5 FT calls to actually feel comfortable with it all.
    And most people are afraid to leave their comfort zone, so it goes to figure.

12. OC513 macrumors 6502

I too use Facetime daily to see my daughter while I am at work.....I love it and so does she. Seeing her smiling face while I am at work is priceless. Having a bad day changes instantly upon seeing her face on my iPhone screen. Now if AT&T could get their act together we could have it available over 3G as well

13. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Have you tried the Bluetooth Mono toggle for sbsettings?

14. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I like FaceTime over other options since you don't need 3rd party apps running in the background. However, my wife and I liked Tango since it looked like the FaceTime UI. Now we just FaceTime with 3G unrestrictor... but lately I've been using a 4G LTE portable mifi to FaceTime with my wife and kids when I travel.

15. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I agree that FaceTime is better than all those other apps I was just saying you could use those other app as well. Some people think the on video chat option is FaceTime.

16. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yes, I agree. Its great to have options and choices. I have only tested FaceTime vs Skype. On Wifi, FT was far superior. But again, I have high end bandwidth. So they both were optimal. But on 3g I've only used Skype.
    But I've heard Tango is widely used and enjoyed.

17. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Yes.

You simply jailbreak your iPhone 4 and install 3G Unrestrictor

18. chadam macrumors member

chadam

"Have you tried the Bluetooth Mono toggle for sbsettings?"

Yes, still no dice, does not work. Cannot make FT calls over BT w/Jawbone Icon. Anyone have luck?

19. chadam macrumors member

chadam

Yes, still no dice, does not work. Cannot make FT calls over BT w/Jawbone Icon. Anyone have luck?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I been using Facetime over 3G since last summer:)

21. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Nice to meet you too LOL.

I was refering to my friends and family that do videochat. They are all on skype none of them uses Facetime.

22. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

The official Gtalk for iPhone is limited to a webapp without cam support. You will have to use one of the other video clients mentioned here or wait(hope) for google to make a native iOS version. It is possible since they have already done Voice, Earth, search and Translate.

There are also many third party Google talk clients on the Appstore, but I don't know if they support video.

23. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Well I'm in a giving mood (yeah, I'm cool that way. its how I roll) so if you'd like to have one person in which you can use FaceTime with please let me know and I'll give you my number. No, don't worry about some sicko or perv. I'm happily married.

We still have some friends that have older iPhones so we might use Skype for that, but its not to often. A lot of our friends here and a few over seas will use FaceTime. Also, the mac geeks can use it from their iMacs/Mac Mini's/etc. So its not just limited to iPhone 4's.

24. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

what's the data usage like when doing it over 3g? I've never had it work long enough (only a minute or so) to get a good idea.

25. akasch macrumors regular

I never use facetime. Everyone I know uses Tango because not only does it work over 3g, but it is compatible with android phones so you're not limited to people with iphone 4s