Facetime Question Ipod/Iphone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iphonetoday, Feb 20, 2011.

1. iphonetoday macrumors regular

i dont understand this and need someone pro explain it for me please ?

my girlfriend in oversea using ipod touch
    i'm using iphone 4

If i want to call her i have to go Contacts setup her email facetime to make a
    call , and i try it work 100 %

So , if she want to call me back , how to do ?

my iphone 4 dont have email facetime only phone number
    if she dial phone number in usa , that mean long distance ,will she get charge ?

so facetime iphone to ipod using email
    ipod to iphone using phone number

2. Mr Slippy IV, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

You can only send a FaceTime request from a compatible device to an iPhone using the iPhone's phone number. This is how you would have her call you. FaceTime is a free service, and long distance or international numbers don't change this at all.

If you believed that the iPod was incapable of FaceTime calling via a phone number, you were mistaken.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

4. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Respectfully, please keep your comments out of this thread for now. This does not serve at all to help the OP answer the question he asked. If you would like to take this up with him, I suggest you do so after the question has been acknowledged as resolved. Thank you.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Why can't I state my opinion? Who are you? Isn't it easier to add a contact in Skype rather than deal with email addresses and phone numbers in Facetime? Unlike facetime, Skype will also work over 3G. This is an open forum for a reason, if someone has an opinion, who are you to say they can't give it?

6. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

I never said you had to keep tight lipped. I requested that until the OP solves his problem you refrain from introducing extraneous information. This is an open forum, but this thread is about a closed topic. After the OP is satisfied, feel free to bring this up. And direct it to him. I already use Skype.

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I made a suggestion that the OP uses Skype over Facetime. If that irks you that much, dont read the comment. Grow up while your at it.

8. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

I'm not going to argue because this was never intended to be an argument at all. I simply requested you stay on topic in the thread for the sake of the OP having his question answered. If that irks you at all, please consider that you're choosing to argue and become hostile over a simple and respectful suggestion. I'm sorry that you feel the need to get defensive about it.

9. iphonetoday thread starter macrumors regular

all chatter is great giving i a answer i need , thanks all ...

so , facetime work either ipod touch to iphone and iphone to ipod touch with wifi ,doesn't matter oversea or in usa , facetime connect device ipod/iphone using same email itune account or phone number stand for itune account on iphone ,

10. Annerz macrumors regular

Does she have a Mac? If she does she could get the Facetime app for Mac and add you as a contact and facetime with you through her computer.

11. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

You should be able to call each other by using the phone number or email, depending from where to where (iPhone uses phone and iPod uses email) The only problem is that if the one with the iPhone had not activated it when he/she had service (phone service) then it won't work since when you activate FaceTime it sends information to Apple requesting for permission.

12. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I think the previous comment does serve, since Skype is a great option for video calling the OP may not have noticed.

13. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Skype has horrible video quality for iPod touch.

14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Exactly my point.

15. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Yep. So she'll call you using your phone number. If you don't mind sacrificing a small (basically unnoticeable) amount of call quality, Skype is much easier to manage.