Facetime question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by duramaxman1, Dec 25, 2010.

1. duramaxman1 macrumors member

Where I live I dont have phone service but I do have wifi, do I need both to use facetime? Or can I use facetime with just wifi, thanks for the advice.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will need a simcard in the phone in order to FaceTime.
    Not sure if it will work and activate facetime with no service.

3. duramaxman1 thread starter macrumors member

Both phones are activated and working thru att@t, I just dont have any signal where I live

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My guess is you should be good.

5. sectime, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2010

sectime macrumors 6502a

[Turn] on airplane mode. Turn on just wifi and try to connect a FaceTime call. I did and it worked fine. :cool:

6. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

WiFi is all that is required. I use faceTime with my MBP and my kids iTouch as well. Neither of which have a cell antenna. Of note, I use FaceTime with my iPhone overseas with Data Roaming turned off.

7. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Mine worked fine in Japan over wifi with cell data turned off.

8. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I just got a used ip4 with no SIMM card. I don't plan using it as a phone...just as an iPad Jr...basically a camera for my iPad, etc.

But I was also planning on doing FT. Bur unlike my wife's iTouch 4, there is no FaceTime app. Based on a re net try with somebody else's ip4, FT had to be initiated from a phone dial...but I get a no sim card message.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will have to create a contact but I doubt it will let you facetime without a sim. It needs to send a text message to activate the FT service on the iphone. Its not as simple as on the ipod touch.

10. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Wow! What a bummer!!!

I tried the SIM from my iPad, but it didn't help.

I am really bummed about this. I am trying to get my Skype account running...but I guess I can't call a person from Skype to FT, huh?

If have done a little searching, but is there anyway to get tint work with a sim that isn't activated? I do have a couple of larger sims I can cut down, etc.

Thanks!

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, it does suck.
    I dont know why they dont make it just work like the ipod touch. No valid carrier sim or text messages to activate thru their servers etc....
    The Skype app hasnt been updated to do videocalls yet. Just voice for now.
    An unactivated sim wont do it either.

12. lokerd, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Any other video programs to try?

Wow...I feel I have been duped by apple again. I still have my iPad on 3.2 in part to apple screwing us on the cck power issue. Wow! I knew there was a reason I didn't like buying into apple!

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think fring does video chat and also yahoo IM.

14. rrandyy macrumors 6502

What iOS version does the iphone have? I think 4.0 used SMS to call phone numbers and 4.1+ added the option of "calling" e-mail addresses.

15. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

It has 4.2.1

Update on the FaceTime effort. I took the SIM out of my iPad 3g and it worked. I couldn't receive a phone call and I didn't switch the APN to make the iPad SIM work on the iPhone, but it was enough to allow FaceTime to work.

And, now that it worked once, it appears in the calling list. But, once I returned the SIM to iPad, it stopped working.

So, I found another sim, cut it down and stuck it in the iPhone and it recognized it. But, it says it is not provisioned. I was hoping that any sim would allow the FaceTime to work.

16. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I don't think it will work, because FaceTime sends a message to your network service provider asking for permission to activate it, once active it will work, but if you turn airplane mode off and on it will need to be activated again (for which you need service).

This happened to me once that I went to the US with my iPhone 4 bought in Colombia (South America)

17. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I had recently signed up for iP4. I ported my number a few days later. The phone wouldn't allow facetime after a number is ported unless you followed Apple's instructions which basically made you reset all settings on the phone and reboot it. Kinda weird.

I was hoping there would be some sort of facetime app like the iPod, but eventually found it in the contacts setting.

18. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Any hope for a JB solution to fix yet another Apple baffle?

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is something called MiTime from Cydia, not sure if its been updated to work with the latest firmware though.

20. lokerd, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

New problem...

FT is attempting to redirect to 127.0.0.1:8081/redirect.html

This is after I changed over the apn.

The good news is that the iPhone works with the iPad sim for data.

Before the apn switch, face time was working with the iPad sim.

Any ideas?

Edit:
    Ok, I got it working. Apparently, I was using a recent call list that was made before I changed the apn.