FaceTime really does matter

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ReallyBigFeet, Sep 1, 2010.

1. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I'm currently about a thousand miles away from home and my daughter is out shopping for a birthday present for her grandmother (my mom). She calls me and asks me for my opinion....now first off, I'm blessed that my 17 year old daughter STILL wants to talk to her old man, let alone values my opinion on anything at that age. But secondly, she's got an iPhone 4 as do I and she happens to be at a mall with free wifi so she takes me 'shopping' with her to show me the few items she's picked out.

Well, you know the rest. FaceTime allowed me to go v-shopping with her and her friends as they tour me around the store showing me all the things she is thinking of buying for her grandmother. Other than a slight case of vertigo when they spun me around too fast, it was an amazing experience and something that up until FaceTime was introduced would have been impossible for us to have done before.

Kinda neat...I don't feel so far from home tonight after all.

2. Gilly Gil macrumors regular

Nice story. :D I use facetime a lot with my family. It's a great experience. That will be a great tool for you to use during xmas shopping too. :)

3. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

My wife and daughter use it at least twice a day......

4. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

me and my girlfriend use it every day shes not here. and sometimes when she is haha. like she went to get us ice cream and facetimed me to show me the flavors lol.

5. djgulia macrumors 6502

This made me laugh :D

I wish I knew someone with an iphone 4 because I think it would be fun to play around with. Everyone that I know who have an iphone still have a 3G or 3GS.

6. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

You need to get out more. Here is a gift for when your daughter does not have wifi:

http://appshopper.com/social-networking/knocking-live-video

Was available before facetime.

7. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502

I do that at the bakery for my husband. ;) Know I don't bring home bread that he doesn't like because he can choose for himself.

8. ReallyBigFeet thread starter macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Meh, maybe so but good grief, look at that mess of instructions....

"***********************************************************

What you need to know to begin sharing Live video:

To send and receive video both you and your friends must have the app.

INSTRUCTIONS

1. First, make sure your iPhone's push notifications are on. You will not be able to receive Knocking Live Video if your push notifications are OFF. So.....

--Go to your settings on your iPhone
    --Then make sure push notifications are ON.
    2. Second, Create a new account.
    3. Third, Find friends already using Knocking via the two faces icon in the upper left hand corner. Tap Search. (We recommend search by first AND last name.)
    Then tap on your friend to send a friend request. Once they approve you can both start Knocking Live Video.
    4. Fourth, Invite Friends- This feature is temporarily disabled and will be corrected in our next update. Stay tuned.
    5. Fifth, Choose a friend and start knocking live video to their iPhone right from your iPhone's camera!

**************************************************************"

All that garbage and setup versus FaceTime instructions:

1) Call Dad
    2) Press Facetime button
    3) Shop together

I think you missed the part about her not being a geek. :)

9. lobster512 macrumors newbie

My sister FaceTimed me from Hawaii to announce that she is now engaged! Great stuff.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It sure is a great feature to have.
    Seeing my 3 year old boy waving and saying Daddy while Im at work is great.

11. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2