iPad Facetime replies from Daughter's friends to going to Son's devices

Discussion in 'iPad' started by phooz, Mar 17, 2013.

1. phooz macrumors newbie

Greetings All,

I've helped my daughter and son setup Facetime on their IPADs and Touchs. My Daughters facetime address/contact is on my Sons devices and vica versa. When my daughter receives a notification on any of her devices from one of her friends/contacts, it also goes to my Son's devices. However, he doesn't have any of my daughters contacts on his devices. I don't want to turn off all notifications to facetime on his device, because then my Daughter wouldn't be able to communicate with him. How do I prevent this?

2. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Set them each up with their own Apple ID. Use those IDs for iMessage and Facetime. Everything will be separate. They can both use the same ID for the iTunes & App Stores if you want one ID for purchases. Messages and Facetime can be signed in with separate IDs in settings.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Correct. The each need their own, separate Apple ID. Use their individual IDs for email, FaceTime, iCloud, calendar, address book, etc. Do NOT enter a common Apple ID in to any of these places in the phone's settings.

You CAN use one common Apple ID for the iTunes/App Store, however, so they can both share the same apps, movies & music without having to buy each twice.

This is how we have things set up in my home. One common App Store and iTunes account, five separate Apple IDs for everything else. None of us have ever gotten a message or notification meant for someone else.

4. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

This!

5. phooz thread starter macrumors newbie

6. makotoisle macrumors 6502

Just keep in mind that you won't be able to see their iMessages that way. I don't know how hold your children are- my nieces (very young, 4 and 6) have iPod touches and everybody in the house is on the same iCloud because their parents want to know who they are talking to.