Facetime requires text plan???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imkingofjungle, Aug 21, 2010.

1. imkingofjungle macrumors member

im using an iphone4 on t-mobile, and my facetime keeps saying ''waiting for activation''

i dont have a text plan on t-mobile, i heard its required to activate facetime.

is there a way around this?
    do need a text plan at all times when facetime is activated or do i just need to use it once to activate it, and once activated, i can close the text plan right?

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

iPhone 4 sends an SMS the first time you facetime a contact, then from there onwards, no need.

3. imkingofjungle thread starter macrumors member

i dont have a text plan, but i am able to send text messages at the cost of .20 cent per message, how come facetime does not activate?

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This is probably changing in the next update as FaceTime apparently works with email addresses in the 4.1 beta.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Where do you live and where are you trying to make a FaceTime call to?

I thought I remembered readying that if your making an International FaceTime Call, SMS is required to initiate the call but SMS is not required for local calls (even though you are on WiFi)

6. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

The part I am confused is that if I put the iPhone in Airplane mode and activate WIFI only, I can still initiate and use FaceTime. If the cellular radio is OFF, how does it send a text still? Through Wifi? (which i didn't think it is possible)

7. imkingofjungle thread starter macrumors member

i am making a local facetime call with a friend who has facetime also.
    but i havent even gotten this far yet, because facetime isnt even activated on iphone4 yet.

8. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

OK, I may not be getting this exactly right and I have no way to test it because I DO have a data plan.
    However, my understanding is that Facetime DOES NOT need a data plan to work. It isn't using data to send anything.
    First, OP, have you enabled Facetime in settings?
    Settings->Phone->Facetime-> on

Once you do that, call the person you know who also has an iPhone 4 with Facetime activated. Remember also that Facetime only works over wifi, so be sure you are both in a place where wifi is available.

After that first call, Facetime should appear in that person's contact information. You can then just hit the Facetime button in that person's contact information to initiate a Facetime conversation.

Try it and let us know if it works please.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Just to troubleshot the issue, is this enabled on your iPhone and your friends phone?

[​IMG]

10. imkingofjungle thread starter macrumors member

yes, i should have mentioned that facetime is on, and below says "waiting for activation"

i also have wifi on.

the facetime button is not on my phone option, the button where it should have facetime is replaced with the "hold" button.
    this is because facetime is not activated on my phone yet, hence the "waiting for activation"

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

was the option to use FaceTime available before you Jailbraked your iPhone?

Depends what Jailbreak method you used and what programs you installed, some have been known to kill the FaceTime and Visual Voicemail features, so its always better to use the newest software available to jailbreak and to install any updates that Cydia offers to patch any bugs.

12. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Have you completely shut down and then re-started your phone since you turned Facetime on in settings?

13. shandyman Suspended

i've never even used facetime and i have the facetime button so dunno where this waiting for activation came from....

14. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

the other day i found that on my iphone it was off for some reason, i felt stupid lol:D

15. tehfrag macrumors newbie

I have a related question. I'm on AT&T but I have no texting plan, and have SMS totally blocked on my line. Will I be able to use facetime?

16. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

^this. After you turn ON facetime. Wait a couple of hours then reboot your phone.