Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
One of the users I support reported to me that the new screen sharing feature in FaceTime stops working after about 45-50 seconds on their 14-inch MacBook Pro. They were running macOS 12.1 so I advised them to upgrade to 12.2. but that did not solve the problem. When the screen sharing stops itself without any warning the FaceTime call remains connected. You can start screen sharing again during the same FT call but the screen sharing will stop itself again after 45-50 seconds. I tested the FT screen sharing feature on two other 14-inch MacBook Pros (both running macOS 12.2), a Mac Mini (Intel, macOS 12.1) and MacBook Air (M1, macOS 12.1) and was able to reproduce the problem on every Mac. Is anyone else experiencing this?

dave122

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2022
i'm also seeing this exact same problem on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) Monterey.

Here are my other troubleshooting notes, trying to change one thing at a time.
* Who Initiates: Only occurs when I initiate the screen share, not when the other person initiates the screen share.
* Application: screen share works perfectly fine on Microsoft Teams.
* Network: I switched from Wifi to Tether through my iphone and it still disconnected.
* Device: I initiated screen share from iPad and it works fine
* Safe Mode: booting in safe mode resolves the issue.
* Login Items: I've removed all Login Items
* VPN: ensured all VPN apps were closed

Anyone have any luck in resolving this?

ultrakyo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
Same issue with a friend of mine, the share screen stop when he presents from his iMac or Macbook after around 50s but it is fine when I am sharing the screen.

Any ideas? Both are running latest macOS Monterey 12.2.1.

Fear12

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2020
US
Did anyone find a resolution to this? I'm having the exact same symptoms on 12.3.1. The FaceTime call works great but after about a minute of screen sharing it will just stop sharing. The FaceTime call continues on without a hitch.

adamletko

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2022
Hey, I found a solution that worked for me. I was using Lulu app, which was causing the drop after 50 seconds. It doesn't happen when I disable Lulu.
So try to disable any software of such kind.
(Macbook Pro 15 2018, macOS 12.4.)

Fear12

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2020
US
I narrowed it down to either my VPN or Little Snitch network monitor and it appears to be Little Snitch. Simply turning off the network filter doesn't work but if I completely uninstall Little Snitch I'm able so share my screen for over 50 seconds, even with my VPN enabled.

Obviously this is not ideal as I want to be able to use Little Snitch. I'm going to reinstall and see if I can figure out if perhaps I had a rule set in Little Snitch that was causing the disconnects.

Reactions: sandycheeks

sandycheeks

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2022
Hi everyone,

Has anyone found any further solutions to this problem?
I am experiencing it also and it is extremely frustrating when trying to Facetime with my son.
I have tried uninstalling both Little Snitch and Express VPN, however with no luck.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.