Facetime set up

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Commy1, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Hey guys so I've got a number of apple products and I enjoy using FaceTime.. when it works. On my Apple account I have a total of 3 ways to contact me, each one I've assigned to a device.
    e.g. iPhone=# iPad=yahoo email and Macbook=icloud email

How I've set it up it makes sense and it should work, but when I go to call a device it just doesn't work, I always get 'Contact is not available' or "Caller Null" and I can't answer.
    I heard from a friend that it was a general bug having to do with iCloud or something.

Anyone have some more knowledge or tricks to share to make this work?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Your over complicating things. Just add your number and iTunes/iCloud emails to all the devices.

3. Commy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Commy1

But if they're all contacted via the same address then how can I go about calling another device?
    When I'm not home or my gf is on a trip I lend her my iPad so we can talk.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Does she have her own iTunes account?

5. Commy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Not as far as I know, but we can always make one.
    Wouldn't registering her account on the iPad do something to it's registration with my account?

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

With her own account she can log in and use FaceTime etc making it easier for FaceTime management.

Looking at apple forums it seems people who split there account over devices like you have are the ones with FaceTime issues. I would think it's due to apples servers know your number email etc are associated but splitting them cases an error.

----------

I should add you don't need to repurchase apps. You can sign in to install apps and updates as and when you choose.