iPhone Facetime starting while taking on the phone

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by morespce54, Sep 27, 2013.

1. morespce54 macrumors 65816

morespce54

Hi there.

Since I've upgraded to iOS7 (iPhone 4S), it's the third time in two days that, while I'm talking on the phone, suddenly, Facetime kicks in (going on speaker, adding reverbs, and starting the facing camera). At one time, the phone call just plainly drop once Facetime started. The two other times, the person I'm speaking to just hear reverbs.

I know I'm not intentionally pressing the Facetime button (with my finger) while taking - maybe with my cheek? Is there another (secret) way to start a Facetime conversation that I'm not aware of and that I would do without knowing? By the way, none of those 3 peoples have an iPhone, so they are no part of the problem.

Anyone had such an issue already? Is there a way you can think of that would stop this from happening? Where's the dargn pref pane for proximity sensor?

Thanks!

P.S. I never had this issue with the same phone on iOS6.

2. davidra macrumors 6502

I've had it happen several times. If I hold the phone away from my face, the sensor turns the screen on. If I press it on my face (I have a beard) for some reason sometimes Facetime starts. Today Facetime audio came on. I had thought it was due to my case (Lifeproof Nuud) but I'm not positive about that....

3. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

There has been some grumbling in a few threads about similar things and the proximity sensor not working accurately. I think it started with 7.02. Seems like a few years ago - what was it iOS 4 that had all those proximity sensor problems? ugh.

4. morespce54 thread starter macrumors 65816

morespce54

Oh... So I'm not that crazy and that could be related to proximity sensor (maybe with 7.0.2). I also have a case for my phone but it's the same case I had with iOS6.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think I was on 7.0.0 the first time it happened but for the last occurrences, I was on 7.0.2 for sure.

Thanks

5. diamondjimbo macrumors newbie

Yes! Happened more than 6 times in a week for me... very annoying.

6. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

Facetime also happens here a lot

it started with iOS7.0 but continues with iOS7.02 - and it only affects my wife's iP5.
    my iP5 that is just a couple of digits different serial number and was updated to iOS7.0 then iOS7.02 in the same manner does not (yet) randomly instantiate FT.

(my wife doesn't have a beard - and I do)
    (both phones have Tech21 'impactology' non-newtonian fluid cases)

7. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

I get the same thing but with mute. iOS7 GM definitely borked the proximity sensor sensitivity.

8. ah123 macrumors regular

Same for me - my call changed to speaker phone while I was on it at the office - luckily person on the other end of the line wasn't saying anything dodgy!
    Edit - I'm on a 4S and this has happened on 7 and 7.0.2.

9. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

I took my 'accidental FaceTime' iPhone 5 to Genius Bar

I took my 'accidental FaceTime' on iOS7 iPhone 5 to the local Genius Bar.

They physically examined the phone, did an analytical data-dump and concluded that in my case the Proximity Sensor was OK. The suggestion from the Applestore team was that a historic setting - from some bit of iOS6 - was still affecting the phone, irrespective of how many resets/reinstalls/back-ups that I had made. They noticed many crashes in the phone post-iOS7 install.

Their solution was to go to Settings/General/Reset/'Reset All Settings' as this "preserves all user data"(*) (* I strongly suggest back-up to iCloud before testing if it does actually preserve all your data) - in my experience the iOS6 user experience wasn't fully re-installed from local iTunes backups (missing ringtones, music) but the restore from iCloud = 'docked, WiFi, locked' backup did give 99% of the usability.

Having backed up everything - then try the 'Reset All Settings' - note specifically NOT 'Erase All Content and Settings' - in the opinion of my Applestore - this 'erase' choice still allows 'echoes' of iOS6 to be restored.

Their suggested 'Reset All Settings' effectively gives a clean, default, iOS7.

And that was a surprise - I'm still a day later trying to work out what some of the Options of the Options of the Settings mean. I need to find somewhere a 'live' menu-map of iOS7 to ensure that I'm secure again and that I'm (mostly) in control. There are rather a lot of dependent options, state machines, to play with!

Until now, I've had no more FaceTime incidents whilst making normal calls, but the phone does continue to lightly crash, heavily crash and sometimes lockup for around a minute - but at least it's as good as it gets until eventually (hopefully) iOS7.1/7.2/7.3 will restore stability.

10. ry23, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

ry23 macrumors member

Sorry to be "THAT GUY"... but why, EVERY time you were supposed to be writing "talking" did you write "taking"?

Edit: I made a mistake

11. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

If you want to be "THAT GUY", maybe you ought to check your own grammar and spelling before posting.

12. ry23 macrumors member

Touchè. It's fixed! Damn auto-correct!

(p.s. I do kno that auto-correct doesn't excuse my lack of re-reading it before hitting send lol.