FaceTime USA to UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by almasinfe, Jul 13, 2010.

1. almasinfe macrumors member

almasinfe

I know that face time is "free" over wifi.. But what about face timing someone in England? Is that still free?

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

as long as the other person has wifi turned on and connected you can call anyone anywhere in the world for free

3. almasinfe thread starter macrumors member

almasinfe

4. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

But it uses the phone network to start the call then swaps to wifi after you press the FaceTime button? No? I know you can press FaceTime in the contacts part but still thought it used the phone network at the start...

5. Titan12 macrumors regular

You can start FaceTime without initiating a phone call. It's an option under individual contacts just like text messaging is.

6. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Lol I wonder how apple got AT&T to swallow that pill. I'm sure AT&T would love to charge users for the privilege of using the feature (like tethering)

7. 156457 macrumors 6502

Even though it's a Wi-Fi only feature? AT&T have nothing to do with what Apple chooses to include in there phones as long as it doesn't involve the network. :confused:

8. samcraig macrumors P6

this isn't directed at you - but at the series of posts where people don't search

NO CELL connection is needed for facetime. Not to initiate. None. As long as both phones have been previously activated through Apple's servers AND that they are in your contacts so you can hit "facetime" instead of dial - you're set.

I would love if Apple created a way to just enter a # and hit facetime instead of needed a contact - but it's an easy enough work around.

So again - it doesn't matter if you're on the moon or in the same room - as long as both people are on wifi - you can facetime. and for free.

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

click on a contact in the iPhone 4's contacts it gives you a option to directly facetime without having to make a cell call ;)

10. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I have lost count of how many times I have posted this...

You do NOT need to make a call before initiating facetime.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/facetime.html

"Let’s say you want to start a video call with your best friend. Just find her entry in your Contacts and tap the FaceTime button. Or maybe you’re already on a voice call with her and you want to switch to video. Just tap the FaceTime button on the Phone screen. Either way, an invitation pops up on her iPhone 4 screen asking if she wants to join you. "

11. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

No.

12. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I'm going to the moon next week so glad to here there is wifi now! Hated the Ethernet ports ;) hehe!

I was only working off what I heard and knew there was a direct button but just quessed it would still go through the network for some gay reason! And to the idiot that quoted me and replyed no. Your a penis :)