Facetime Usefull?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TallManNY, Feb 23, 2011.

1. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

So next week Apple will announce the iPad 2 and presumably it will have a facetime ready front-facing camera. Question for iPhone 4 users out there, do you use facetime? I've had my iphone 4 for about six months and I've only used it twice as a demo to try it out. A handful of my best friends have iPhone 4, so I've got people I could be facetiming with. It never comes up. But I'm not surprised since I've had iSight on my Mac in some form or another for six or so years and I've rarely used video chat. Maybe four or five times a year. And again, many of my best friends have macs with cameras as well.

Anyone else finding this video chat feature is more smoke than fire?

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I use facetime virtually every day. It's really an individual thing as far as whether or not it's useful. I find it very useful but I have friends who never use it and I certainly don't facetime with my friends.

3. jamied95 macrumors 6502

I've not used it once (in 8 months) - to be honest, I don't even know if my front facing camera works!

4. stev3n macrumors 6502

I use it all the time and I find it very useful.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

My other half lives 120 miles away, so FaceTime is great for us. Use it about once a week in addition to IMing.

6. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    I have yet to use mine once since I got mine on launch day.

7. snakelda macrumors 6502

8. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

Jailbreak and you can...

9. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Would be more useful for me if they launched a windows app or I had a friend with a facetime device!

10. kicko macrumors 65816

11. FiremanMike macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

You all can guess what I do based on my screen name. I am gone for 24 hours at a time, and I can't tell you how great it has been to FaceTime my wife and children when I am at the firehouse.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's only useful if you use it. I think a majority of people don't use it though.

13. r2fa3l macrumors regular

never really use it...... just to check myself out.. the front camera... i use it like 5-10 times a day

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

+1

I've never used the webcam on any apple hardware be it iphone or computer.

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I do video chatting at least twice day; if your friends & loved ones are globally distributed like mine you will use it...

16. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Jailbreak or use Tango app, Skype, Fring, Yahoo message ect

17. akasch macrumors regular

I don't use Facetime but I do use Tango when I'm out of town to talk to my girlfriend (She has an android)

18. MacGenius1211 macrumors newbie

Im jailbroken with 3Gunrestrictor

I use FaceTime alot, my brother is in Alaska on ATT with his iPhone, So its cheaper for us to facetime then waste minutes. And I can facetime in the car or wherever I am with 3G, Thank you Verizon for unlimited data.

19. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Use it to facetime my only friend who has an iPhone 4, as it doesn't eat up our minutes, we usually dismiss the camera and just use it like speaker phone.

20. iphoneIA macrumors regular

I have used Facetime only once. It was really useful. My daughter was really sick and my wife wanted me to see her. It was really nice and I know I will use it again.

21. vachargerfan macrumors regular

I actually used it to help my parents get their TV setup. They are not technical, so having me see what they were looking at and telling them where to plug things in was very helpful

22. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I don't consider FaceTime an invaluable feature however I do use it from time to time and it's great. Really cool little feature.

23. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Have any of you guys tried the Skype video chat via the skype app to see how the quality compares to facetime?

24. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

I have found the FaceTime video quality far superior, and the lag significantly less with Facetime (maybe half-a-second w/ Facetime vs. 2-3 seconds w/ Skype).

25. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I use it normally about every day with my wife. She's at work and I'm at work so it makes things fun to be able to see each other. Just talking on the phone now seems so limited as you can't see them smile or wink, etc.

I also use it with a coworker in England. Being able to switch the camera around to the front/back makes it easier to just show them what I'm talking about versus trying to describe "the orange network cable is plugged into the 3rd Netgear switch. No, not that orange one. This is for the .2 subnet".
    Now I just point and say "See? That one". Problem solved.