Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Germwise

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2009
So I bought my grandmother and iPad 2. Just to make things easier I set the iPad up using my apple ID. That way any apps she purchases I pay for and I can deal with anything that may come up.

My question is if I then get my own personal iPad, will we be able to FaceTime?

Do I have to create a new apple account for my grandma?

ironace

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Northern Virginia
I am able to facetime from my iphone 4 to my MBP, iphone to my imac and MBP to imac all with the same account so I dont see why you would not be able to do the same with the ipad 2..... I will test it when I get mine next week.

scottrussell

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
iPad 2 to iPad 2 Facetime Calls - Single Apple ID

Ironace, do you know how it all works? How can one iPad 2 call another iPad 2 if they're both using the same AppleID (which is an email address) ?? I'm considering the purchase of an iPad 2 for my wife, but I'm worried about this limitation.

gquiring

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
SC
They can all use the same Apple account but Facetime does not use the Apple account. What's interesting is you can have multiple email accounts setup on one device for Facetime that works great.

What I want is my iPhone to also use an email account. My friends call me all the time on my iPad but sometimes it's not near me. I would like my iPhone to also use an email address so both would ring at the same time and I can decide which one to pickup. It works on my MacBook Air and iPad. Both ring and I decide which one to use.

scottrussell

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
FaceTime Connections Using Same Apple ID

Thanks, Gerrmwise! I also just found an explanation on this website...

http://network-security-software.bi...-set-up-use-and-troubleshooting-problems.html

If you own both an iPod touch and a Mac, you can use the same Apple ID on both devices—there is no requirement to sign up for a second Apple ID for the alternate device. With the same Apple ID you can either choose to use the same e-mail address on both devices, in which case incoming calls will ring in both places, or you can choose to use a different e-mail address for each. If you have multiple e-mail addresses available, you can also use a combination of e-mail addresses, with some addresses shared between both devices and some addresses configured only on one device or the other.​

Sweet!

scottrussell

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
I can confirm this caveat is true...

For the benefit of family or business users, it should be noted that FaceTime calls between two devices only work if a call is placed from one device to a second device that is not using the same e-mail address. Calls between two devices using the same e-mail address will fail.​

For this reason, I'm setting up my iPad 2 and iMac Face Time preferences to be associated with two email addresses each. The first is my main account, so that anyone can hail me at all devices simultaneously. The second is my device specific address, so that I can call from one device to another (all under the same Apple ID). To accomplish this, I'm creating email aliases with my mobile me account. For example, I've created an email address... scottrussell_iPad@me.com that is only associated with my iPad.

Hope this helps someone!

Scott

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I call my wife on her MBP with a regular, non-Apple eMail address. Just a simple web mail will do it. So just create one mail more if you don't have one spare.

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
If you use Hotmail there is a feature to make aliases. I used scottrussell's idea to make two aliases with _iPad and _iPod tagged on the end of my regular email address.

BTW, the place where you add the new email addresses is in Settings under Facetime. It does send a confirmation email to the account.

Last edited:

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
In addition to Hotmail..
Yahoo has something similar called Disposable e-mail address
Google also allows you to add a + to your e-mail address.

In both cases any e-mail that is sent to those addresses are forwarded to your main mailbox, no need to log into another account.

So like said about you can have something like:
Myhome1234+iPad@gmail.com
Myhome1234+Mac@gmail.com

and everything will be delivered to the main mailbox of:
Myhome1234@gmail.com

Faulconbridge

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
Another simple solution

Go ipad settings > FaceTime > Then look at the page and you will see add another email. Click it > type in the email you wish to use by yourself > select your appropriate email and it will say at the top "you can be reached for video calls at:". > :):):):):):):):):):) Complete. Rather than going through all of that apple id crap ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!! The only reason I made an account on this was to give this suggestion for anyone else who doesnt want to make another apple id.

Oh and if anyone wants to know what Faulconbridge is it's a place in the Blue Mountains in NSW which I have become rather fascinated with. Wikipedia link> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faulconbridge,_New_South_Wales

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.