FaceTime via 3G?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by alabare, Jun 25, 2010.

1. alabare macrumors member

Wondering if there's been any talk of a hack via the Jailbreak that would allow FaceTime functionality via 3G reception? Figure it's just a matter of time to trick the phone into thinking it's on a wifi connection (if it hasn't already been done). Any thoughts?

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

There has been for some time on JB phones. But from what I've read I'm not sure they would work with facetime as they have been working for other apps. I'm sure someone will find a workaround.

3. skim32 macrumors newbie

As far as I'm aware of, iPhone 4 has yet to be jailbroken. I think everyone is waiting for Geohot to release his pwn4life bootrom jailbreak.

But once jailbroken, hopefully the developer of 3G Unrestrictor can get FaceTime working on 3G.

4. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

It's going to be so cool to whip out your phone anywhere and have a fact time convo on the street! Can't wait!! :D

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It's going to take alot more than 3G Unrestrictor to hack FaceTime to work on anything other than Wifi.

6. inott macrumors member

7. 01mggt macrumors 6502

As soon as the jailbreak is out I will be firing up the my3g app from Rock. It will fool ANY app into thinking it's on wifi.

8. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Lizard why would u say that? When 3G unrestrictor works on anything wifi only so far. Maybe u know something I don't?

Anyhow, let's keep our fingers crossed!

9. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

The problem with immediate use of 3Gunrestrictor is that you have to add the app to a list, facetime is a part of the phone which means you can't launch it independently.

I'm sure they'll figure it out but probably not right away.

On the other hand, if you have an ipad that's 3G, you can do what i do, install miwi and then use the facetime over the wifi hotspot it creates....haha

10. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

That's extremely clever...good job!

11. Smith288 macrumors 65816

Smith288

Im going to step out on a limb and say FaceTime is just like any other app on the iPhone and has an app id that can be added to the voipover3g/3gunrestrictor.

Its just tightly integrated into the contacts/Phone apps.

12. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Why couldn't you just add the phone app to 3g-unrestrictor?

13. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Looks like iPad with MyWi works fine. Another poster got FaceTime working over their MiFi, which of course is a 3G device.

Sounds like anything that fools the phone into thinking it's on wifi will work fine.

14. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Exactly. I'm betting that is all that will need to be done, once 3G unrestrictor works on the iPhone 4.

15. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Still gonna be kinda annouying cause your can do it anywhere but most people usually dont have wi-fi.

16. dman244 macrumors newbie

FaceTime via 3G now possible. Great Quality

Now that it is legal to jailbreak your iPhone, you can do FaceTime over 3G with it. :) Instructions are here: http://bit.ly/bCaR6O

Doesn't use a lot of data so don't worry.