Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How often do you use Facetime (iPhone 4)?

• Fantastic I use it quite often (weekly)

Votes: 41 16.0%
  • It's cool but I don't use it too much (monthly)

Votes: 32 12.5%
  • I like it but don't know many people to use it with

Votes: 66 25.8%
  • It's alright but don't use it much

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I haven't found anyone to use it with

Votes: 81 31.6%
  • I don't use it/Don't care

Votes: 21 8.2%

• Total voters

iLoveMyApple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2008
Southern California
I only know 2 people with an iPhone 4. One of which is my sister and the other is my friend. I wish you could talk to people who use iChat. I'd get more use out of the front facing camera.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I have had my iPhone 4 for about 3 weeks now. Haven't made a facetime call yet, I don't know anyone else with an iPhone 4...

May be crazy but what if customer service started to use facetime technology? That could be interesting. Would make me feel more like they care and if I could show them the problem that could be great.

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
I have used it a couple of times. I work 24 hour shifts so it is nice to be able talk to the wife and kids face to face.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
So iPhone 4 has been out for a little while. What's your verdict for Facetime, if you've used it? Poll it up guys!

I only used it once and it was okay. I'd really like to see it on an iPod Touch, Mac and PC though, because at the moment it feels like a crippled feature to me so I could use it instead of Skype to keep in touch with my girlfriend and family. Skype has very much so become a "must-use-but-don't-want-to-use" program recently and I think Facetime would be a welcome contender for video chat. Here's hoping they release a new iPod Touch with a camera!

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Very cool. Will be great once they can get it work on 3G. Though I suspect that will happen sometime around the launch of IP5. Still though, neat concept. Only wish more people I knew had an IP4.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Yeah, I'm not sure why they did not allow you to talk cross platform to macs with iChat. To me, that would be way more useful.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
It's cool but talking to other adults via Facetime is awkward after awhile.. it's great for showing the relatives what the kids are up to, though. My kids really get a kick out of it. :)

JReynolds

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Where the Air Force sends me
I have used it a couple of times. I work 24 hour shifts so it is nice to be able talk to the wife and kids face to face.

I'm assuming you're a firefighter? Seems like we're the only ones that work odd shifts like that.

I use it EVERY NIGHT and on most lunch breaks to see my wife and new baby at home. Makes the fire dept that much better!

billyjoegibsonx

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
It's totally useless for me! I don't know anyone with an iPhone never mind an iPhone 4! plus even if a did we'd need to arrange a time via text/call to use face time... Would be a lot quicker/simpler to just talk/text!

I hope face time will soon be able to be used over 2g/3G and wifi! And not just between iPhones, but any phone with a front facing camera! So unfortunately until then I have no use whatsoever of face time... The only use a have for the front facing camera is to use it as a mirror....

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
Ive used it many times. The best use was to show my brother our niece. He lives over 160 miles away so doesn't get to see her often.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
I don't know many people with the new phone so I've only used it about 2-3 times.

What's the difference in option 2 and 4?

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I'd definitely use it! If I knew a friend who I could use it with. :(

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4

ChiliBlue

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I love it. I use it every weekday to check in with my husband at lunch. It's not to hard to find some place that has free wifi and spend 10 - 15 minutes talking to him. :)

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I've used it with 3 different people for a total of 5 times since launch.

It's neat, but as others have said, Facetime needs to be in more hands for it to really be useful.

My mom just upgraded her 3G two days ago, and I Facetimed with her for a couple of minutes while I was at a restaurant waiting for my food so we could test it out. I'll be going back to college in a couple of weeks, so it'll be nice to use to see my family back home face-to-face.

I've iChatted with my parents several times while away in College, but this is a lot more convenient because you don't have to hassle with getting on the computer which my parents don't use much. What I like about the iPhone is that since it's so simple and handy to hold, you can Facetime in occasions when you just want to have a quick word with someone.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Used it twice and like it but it is limited with only wifi and iphone4 users able to use it. If they make it available on more devices then I think it would it would take off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.