FaceTime with Mobile Share plan for AT&T

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by CedricEarl, Aug 27, 2012.

1. CedricEarl macrumors regular

CedricEarl

I just got off the phone with ATT. My Concern was having an iPhone on an individual plan. They had no information on what can or will be done for those that want to turn on the FaceTime over the network except by adding an additional line and switching to a mobile share account. Having said that it sounds like att is limiting this features availability to only family plans and it’s not available to customers with individual plans. Which is ridiculous. The representative understood my concern as well and expressed that updates could still come in the next week regarding the FaceTime and individual accounts. She saw it as ridiculous too once she expressed having her own individual account with an iPhone. Anyone else figure this out or have any ideas/updates?

2. DMaki650 macrumors 6502

DMaki650

I was literally on the phone with a rep for like an hour and a half and she said that they literally have no idea what there doing with these new plans. It took her that long just to get my account set up to switch on my next billing cycle. She eventually credited my account $25 for the LONG wait and was able to set up my account with the new Mobile Share plans for my next billing cycle. But my point is try calling back and get a different rep cause she was right ALOT of them have no idea what there doing with these new plans at all.

3. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

Even tho its called "Shared Data", you should be able to get that plan without having a family plan. You can "share" the data with other devices.

Just my thought

4. CedricEarl thread starter macrumors regular

CedricEarl

Same thought I had. But the representative gladly let me know that the new "shared plans" are for family plans only. Or if you have other "devices" you'd like to add. She had no clue and expressed it as to what someone is to do on an individual plan wanting FaceTime over 3G.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I wasn't aware a "shared" plan required more than one line.

It doesn't on Verizon.

6. CedricEarl thread starter macrumors regular

CedricEarl

Unfortunately I may just End up switching. No one is entirely knowledgable. I spoke to someone earlier who was aware of the mobile share requirements. This new representative said she has no information regarding that requirement but she does see where it will be available to FaceTime over the network in the new software update. She had no answer for me when I told her I have the new software and upon adding the mobile share the feature became available. Whereas before it was not. My main concern is with Bob Quinn's released statement and confirming the requirement how does this work for individual plans? I have a second line I anticipated on canceling. Now I feel like that may not be a good idea.

7. The Shockwave macrumors newbie

Looking at http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html (you probably need to click on the Mobile Share tab), it doesn't seem to need more than one line. It's $40 for 1GB and then $45 for a single iPhone.

The truly crap thing about it is the price. My GF and I have a family account with unlimited talk and text ($25) and two individual data plans of 2GB each ($25/each) for a total of $75. Now for the same amount of data, it's $150. Wow, what a savings for us to be able to do FaceTime over 3G.

Thanks AT&T, you're a peach. :mad:

8. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I think AT&T rolled out Mobileshare way too fast with poor implementation, such as the hiccup you are experiencing. I'm sure Mobileshare is available, but not through their website as they are behind and slow.

9. rick98761 macrumors 6502

How did you have unlimited talk and text for $25?

10. nutmac macrumors 68040

Unlimited talk costs $120 plus $30 for unlimited family messaging. Add $25 each for 2GB data, you are looking at $200.

11. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Well, soon I will be at Verizon with the rest of my family. Only left for the iPhone and alway knew that once at 4G iPhone was released I would dump ATT.

Just incase there was any doubt, this FactTime crap is ridiculous.

12. chestvrg macrumors 65816

What a rip off, i can't even digest through my mind what the telecoms are doing with customers (ripping them off), and luring them into believing they will be in fact saving with the new shared plans. Reminds me of spending a day at Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom in Orlando & blowing $525. :(

13. The Shockwave macrumors newbie

Sorry, unlimited mobile-to-mobile talk and text.