Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rirawin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
Is it possible with the Ipad to facetime or use the camera to chat to my friends with a Windows PC>.

elan123

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Is it possible with the Ipad to facetime or use the camera to chat to my friends with a Windows PC>.
543.jpg

sure, why not, what problem are you having? theres an app for that

rirawin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
Say my sis is using Skype on Windows, how do I connect facetime with her to chat and catch up?.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Say my sis is using Skype on Windows, how do I connect facetime with her to chat and catch up?.

You can not FaceTime with a Windows user. If your sister has Skype, then you need to install Skype on your iPad for this to work, or she needs to buy an iOS device to FaceTime with you.

The app is not made for the iPad, but the iPhone/iPod touch version works fine.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skype/id304878510?mt=8

rirawin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
If I use the Skype app could I use the camera on the Ipad2 to video chat?.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
If I use the Skype app could I use the camera on the Ipad2 to video chat?.

Since I often do this with my iPhone, I would bet a large portion of money that the iPad can do it, and if not, it will be soon.

Renatog

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2011
Yep, skype video chat works on your ipad 2. Better than facetime since facetime has a bug that craps out your camera occasionally, which only a restart will fix.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I wonder what percentage of people actually research expensive items before they buy. Obviously it is looooooow.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I wonder what percentage of people actually research expensive items before they buy. Obviously it is looooooow.

To be fair to the OP, perhaps video chatting was low on his priority list, and thus not a feature that he read up on.

peaceActivist

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Yep, skype video chat works on your ipad 2. Better than facetime since facetime has a bug that craps out your camera occasionally, which only a restart will fix.

i haven't seen this happen to me yet and I've been using facetime heavily on my iPad 2. Not saying it doesn't exist...but I'm curious why some have this issue and others dont. Sorry, i'm just thinking out loud.

gquiring

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
SC
What I don't get is Apple opened the Facetime protocol to be free. By now I would have thought some open source folks would have taken advantage of that nice offering from Apple and built a Facetime application for Windows and Linux.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
What I don't get is Apple opened the Facetime protocol to be free. By now I would have thought some open source folks would have taken advantage of that nice offering from Apple and built a Facetime application for Windows and Linux.

Seems as though other companies don't want to help Apple develop more reason for users to stay in the iOS/OS X ecosystem. And who could blame them.

Perhaps Apple should cobble together a quick Facetime for Windows app.

Personally, if I were capable, I would put together a Facetime for Windows app and load it up with advertising. Yeah, that's the ticket.

ravenas

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2010
As a Windows user the lack of a desktop app is what makes Facetime a bunch of Apple vaporware hype.

Skype is great however.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
As a Windows user the lack of a desktop app is what makes Facetime a bunch of Apple vaporware hype.

Skype is great however.

Facetime beats skype in quality hands down though, I use it a lot to friends in europe, used to use skype, now facetime, it's incredible how much more reliable and clearer it is. As a matter of fact they recently gave me a tour of their new apartment by walking around with a macbook air. :)

ravenas

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2010
Facetime beats skype in quality hands down though, I use it a lot to friends in europe, used to use skype, now facetime, it's incredible how much more reliable and clearer it is. As a matter of fact they recently gave me a tour of their new apartment by walking around with a macbook air. :)

Um, did the tour thing with my nieces and nephews 3-4 years ago with Skype.

Thing is Facetime is only of use if both parties live in the Apple ecosystem. Of my family and friends only 2 use Apple products regularly. But we can all use Skype to stay in touch regardless what system we're using.

I really thought when Apple launched iPhone 4 last year and came out with Facetime they'd be revolutionary in pushing a mobile to desktop video client for the world. Instead Apple treated it like Ping and let it wither on the exclusivity vine.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Skype works very well, in fact I often use Skype on my iPad 1 even though the other side cannot see my face :eek:

Still I much prefer using Facetime when possible. It's better integrated with my idevices and the quality is better.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK

According to this site part of the FaceTime protocol involves an encrypted conversation with Apple's servers and so far Apple hasn't given out the client side certificates needed for this encryption. Without this certificate third-party software can't really get anywhere despite the fact most of the rest of the protocol is built on open standards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.