Facetime with Windows?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rirawin, Mar 28, 2011.

1. rirawin macrumors regular

Is it possible with the Ipad to facetime or use the camera to chat to my friends with a Windows PC>.

2. elan123 macrumors 6502

sure, why not, what problem are you having? theres an app for that

3. rirawin thread starter macrumors regular

Say my sis is using Skype on Windows, how do I connect facetime with her to chat and catch up?.

4. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You can not FaceTime with a Windows user. If your sister has Skype, then you need to install Skype on your iPad for this to work, or she needs to buy an iOS device to FaceTime with you.

The app is not made for the iPad, but the iPhone/iPod touch version works fine.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skype/id304878510?mt=8

6. rirawin thread starter macrumors regular

If I use the Skype app could I use the camera on the Ipad2 to video chat?.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes.

8. rirawin thread starter macrumors regular

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Since I often do this with my iPhone, I would bet a large portion of money that the iPad can do it, and if not, it will be soon.

10. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

YES theoretically but since it's relatively new Skype is prob still updating their software. You might be able to pull it off with the current iPhone/iPod Touch version

11. Renatog macrumors newbie

Yep, skype video chat works on your ipad 2. Better than facetime since facetime has a bug that craps out your camera occasionally, which only a restart will fix.

12. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

so the Skype app video does work on the iPad 2?

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes.

14. brewno macrumors 6502

15. shandyman Suspended

there was talk of a facetime app coming out for windows too, tho that was a while back and still no sign

16. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I wonder what percentage of people actually research expensive items before they buy. Obviously it is looooooow.

17. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

To be fair to the OP, perhaps video chatting was low on his priority list, and thus not a feature that he read up on.

18. peaceActivist macrumors regular

peaceActivist

i haven't seen this happen to me yet and I've been using facetime heavily on my iPad 2. Not saying it doesn't exist...but I'm curious why some have this issue and others dont. Sorry, i'm just thinking out loud.

19. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

What I don't get is Apple opened the Facetime protocol to be free. By now I would have thought some open source folks would have taken advantage of that nice offering from Apple and built a Facetime application for Windows and Linux.

20. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Seems as though other companies don't want to help Apple develop more reason for users to stay in the iOS/OS X ecosystem. And who could blame them.

Perhaps Apple should cobble together a quick Facetime for Windows app.

Personally, if I were capable, I would put together a Facetime for Windows app and load it up with advertising. Yeah, that's the ticket.

21. ravenas macrumors regular

As a Windows user the lack of a desktop app is what makes Facetime a bunch of Apple vaporware hype.

Skype is great however.

22. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

Facetime beats skype in quality hands down though, I use it a lot to friends in europe, used to use skype, now facetime, it's incredible how much more reliable and clearer it is. As a matter of fact they recently gave me a tour of their new apartment by walking around with a macbook air. :)

23. ravenas macrumors regular

Um, did the tour thing with my nieces and nephews 3-4 years ago with Skype.

Thing is Facetime is only of use if both parties live in the Apple ecosystem. Of my family and friends only 2 use Apple products regularly. But we can all use Skype to stay in touch regardless what system we're using.

I really thought when Apple launched iPhone 4 last year and came out with Facetime they'd be revolutionary in pushing a mobile to desktop video client for the world. Instead Apple treated it like Ping and let it wither on the exclusivity vine.

24. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Skype works very well, in fact I often use Skype on my iPad 1 even though the other side cannot see my face :eek:

Still I much prefer using Facetime when possible. It's better integrated with my idevices and the quality is better.

25. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

According to this site part of the FaceTime protocol involves an encrypted conversation with Apple's servers and so far Apple hasn't given out the client side certificates needed for this encryption. Without this certificate third-party software can't really get anywhere despite the fact most of the rest of the protocol is built on open standards.