Facetime works without activated SIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fireshot91, Aug 24, 2010.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

So, my brother's iPhone 4 SIM card gets deactivated because he got a different phone. And then today, I noticed it had a missed Facetime call. I didn't return it, but, I tried entering my friend's phone number in the contacts and then started a Facetime with her, and it worked!
    Needless to say, I was surprised.

I'll ask my friend what number it came from, on the off chance that it was my brother's phone number. I'll post back/edit in a few.

EDIT: Okay. So, the call did come from my brother's phone number. But the SIM card had no service, and wasn't active.

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

FaceTime only uses the SIM to get the phone number originally, after that it just uses your phone number as your username for FaceTime. Both phones would probably ring if someone called his number

3. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

But they didn't. It only rang when it was FaceTime initiated.

4. scootaru macrumors 6502

FaceTime does not operate on the cellular network. His iPhone 4 had to be connected to your home network via wifi. The SIM is no longer used after FaceTime is initially set up. The iPhone does verify a SIM is installed, however, before starting FaceTime, but it doesn't have to be the original SIM that was installed when FaceTime was set up.