Facetime

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by forcetactic, Sep 7, 2010.

1. forcetactic macrumors 6502

My mom gave me her iPhone 4 to use as a touch after she deactivated her sim. I did a clean restore because there was an issue with the battery life. I cannot send SMS so is there any legit way to activate Facetime...?

Also will the 4.1 patch change the process of activating Facetime for iphone?

2. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha forcetastic,

AFAIK, the only current way to invoke Facetime is by placing a phone call first. Once the telephone connection is established, Facetime takes over on WiFi, but you still have to make the telephonic connection first.

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

You'll probably just have to get her to put her SIM in just long enough to activate facetime. The iPod touch 4 does it with your iTunes account, which the iPhone 4 doesn't support

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Not true. Providing you as either on wifi or on 3G but jailbroken with a wifi/3G hack type app installed you can go to a contact and tap the FaceTime button. You do not need to call the person at all.

Op- iPhones need a sim in you can get around this via jailbreaking but its easier to slap a pay as you go simcard in.

5. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

Um yeah your wayyyyyyyy wrong.

I put my iPhone 4 on airplane mode and just turned on wifi and I was able to FaceTime.

6. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

The OP did not mention jailbreaking the iPhone in question.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Quite possible.

We know it will enable Face Time on the (phone-less) iPod. So you've got a good chance of it working on your SIM-less iPhone too.

Can't promise, but I give it good odds.

8. forcetactic thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi guys. Thanks for the responses.

I do in fact have a sim in my iphone; it's just deactivated so it will not work as a phone nor connect to the 3g network.

I have tried to turn Facetime on/off and wifi on/off but it will always give me the Waiting for activation...... notice. Whenever i click a contact too, there are only 3 buttons: no facetime option

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

What's your point. You gave incorrect facts.

You can initiate a FaceTime call without placing a phone call first!