Facetime

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by roccobladr, Jul 25, 2011.

1. roccobladr macrumors 6502

Hey all

New member here. Looking to get a new mac...kind of torn between a pro or air.

The pro has Facetime HD now, correct? The Airs have standard Facetime?

From peoples experience, is there a big difference?

2. norrismantooth macrumors regular

There's a difference between HD and Not HD. I have a MacBook Pro without HD, and I wish it had HD. So, there's your answer.

3. roccobladr thread starter macrumors 6502

What I meant was, is it a huge difference that would make you rather go for the Pro instead of the Air?

4. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

If you are going to do a lot of video calls, the HD camera is MUCH better than the camera that comes with the Air.

5. TheEmpty macrumors member

Does it really matter? Do you really need a high quality webcam? If so, then go with the pro. Otherwise, there isn't much reason to say one or the other. One is portable and fast, the other is great at processing and better at graphics.

6. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

If you plan to get the external thunderbolt you can do HD face time with the Mac book air

7. roccobladr thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not a huge deal for me, but if I am spending 1200$ I could get the air or the pro. I'm just trying to figure out which has the better value.

8. TheEmpty macrumors member

They're not competitors, two different products. For me, I'm going to college, so the small, light-weight, silent computer is nice. I have a gaming rig at home and it's the only time I boot into windows. But other people are only buying one computer, in which the Macbook pro is better because it has more power to do those kind of things (unless your just do basic stuff). Tell us what you want to do with it and maybe we can help you out :)

9. roccobladr thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't plan on getting heavy use out of the camera, but it's more like I'd like to know I have a good one if I need it.

I have a desktop pc that I have built and upgraded mildly since 2003. It still runs fine, and I have a laptop from 2004 that I threw some extra RAM in, but I just feel like I need a nice new computer for grad school.

I am also in a cover band and we use samples, so I need GarageBand for producing/recording.

The main thing about the MBA that I like is the SSD. If I am going to be spending this much on a computer, I want it to have the latest/greatest that it can have at the price point.

My gripe about the MBP is that I could get a PC with similar stats/regular hard drive for cheaper.

I would like to play the occasional game or two, but I don't mind running on lower settings and I don't play anything hard core or new like crysis 2.

10. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

I don't think the camera should be a deciding factor unless all else is equal or you do a lot of video conferencing.

11. rkheyfets macrumors regular

the SSD out weighs the non HD camera 1000 fold if not more unless your going to doing video conferences etc multi times a day and if so you can just get an external HD cam, on the other hand though you could get an SSD in the macbook Pro