Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumorman69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Hey guys. So, I'm still waiting to get my iPhone 4 in the mail. In the mean time I had a couple questions about facetime someone can hopefully help me out with. Ok, so since facetime is supposed to be wifi only (for now) is it possible to start and execute a facetime call without a data plan (or with cellular data turned off)? I would assume so. What about starting a facetime call without ANY minutes or without a SIM card? If it's over wifi, do you even need minutes or a phone number? I would love to basically use facetime as you would use skype or ichat. I don't want to give my phone number away or need someones phone number to facetime. I just want to videochat over wifi. Also, I heard something about needing a text messaging plan in order to start a facetime call or an international facetime call, is this true? What about international facetime calls? Let's say I'm in the states and want to facetime with someone in London, do I need to have international calls enabled to face time or will absolutely ZERO (0) minutes be used if i directly start the call as a facetime call? Thanks.

detroit1

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
not possible bc you must call someone and then send a request through your cell #. it might work if you take your sim out after the facetime is established but im on preorder so idk. lol

LordOBoogie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
You don't have to call someone first. You go to their contact and hit FaceTime. But it won't work without a SIM card. It has to be activated to work.

rumorman69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
You don't have to call someone first. You go to their contact and hit FaceTime. But it won't work without a SIM card. It has to be activated to work.

Thanks. Does it use ANY minutes at all to start it directly with facetime? Do you need text messages? Are international direct facetime calls free? Will your phone number show up on their phone when you facetime them or is there a way to hide your number when you factime? Thanks

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
i think to get the facetime button to work in contacts you need the phone number or atleast place 1 call.

cwubbels

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2008
I believe you also need to have a messaging plan for FaceTime to work.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
There are different requirements for activating FaceTime vs. actually using FaceTime.

Based on other threads I have seen, you need to have text messaging enabled on your phone to activate FaceTime. This doesn't mean you need a texting plan or that you will even be charged for one message; you just need to have the ability to send and receive them (i.e. not have them blocked completely).

Once FaceTime is activated, all you need is a WiFi connection and the other person's phone number. You can put your phone in Airplane Mode if you want (with WiFi enabled) and you can still make a FaceTime call.

LordOBoogie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Thanks. Does it use ANY minutes at all to start it directly with facetime? Do you need text messages? Are international direct facetime calls free? Will your phone number show up on their phone when you facetime them or is there a way to hide your number when you factime? Thanks

• It doesn't use any minutes at all.
  • You have to have text messages. At least you have to to activate FaceTime.
  • It is my understanding that international FaceTime calls are totally free.
  • The phone number does show up. Don't know if there is any way to block it.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
it uses no minutes and you cannot hide your #
i think to get the facetime button to work in contacts you need the phone number or atleast place 1 call.
True
I believe you also need to have a messaging plan for FaceTime to work.

No. They just cannot be blocked completely.

LordOBoogie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009

This isn't true. I just tried it.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
how are there so many threads on this and how are people still insisting you have to be in a current call to initate facetime?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/facetime.html

"Let’s say you want to start a video call with your best friend. Just find her entry in your Contacts and tap the FaceTime button. Or maybe you’re already on a voice call with her and you want to switch to video. Just tap the FaceTime button on the Phone screen. Either way, an invitation pops up on her iPhone 4 screen asking if she wants to join you.

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
I'm assuming the iphone always keeps in contact with apple's server (for push services) so they always know what IP address is for every iphone phone number (globally) either on 3g or wifi. Therefore when you ask to facetime 123-456-7890, apple' server knows what the IP address of the destination and has a constant connection with that iphone so it rings it via their server and hooks the two together. This also explains why it works in airplane mode where no cell network is used.

I'm betting if Apple's servers are down, facetime would not work.

Briview

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I can confirm that what admanimal said is true.

Just a side note though: It only works with supported carriers. I've canceled AT&T here in the US and am trying out a pre-unlock, pay-as-you-go, SIM-cut-down-to-microSIM T-Mobile service (voice and data) and surely enough, no FaceTime. Maybe there'll be a way to get around this after an unlock/hack though, sometime soon so that you can also FaceTime with the large pool of potential T-Mobile iPhone fourers out there.

haulis

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
No. They just cannot be blocked completely.

Not true. Mine are blocked completely and I can FaceTime. I couldn't always but last week it activated on it's own. I checked my plan and I still the Opt Out codes for messaging listed and no SMS' are going through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.