Fact: 99% of iPhone Accessories are Total Junk

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Radiating, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Radiating macrumors 65816

Here's a simple fact 99%-100% of the cases or screen protectors that you can get for the iPhone 6 or 6+ are going to be total junk.

Nobody makes a screen protector that covers the beveled edges or the 6 or 6+ that isn't super weird, you either go with this film that looks like the worst orange peel you've seen in your life, or you go with this super thick curved glass that ruins the look and feel of the phone, or you go with something that is way too small and because it doesn't go edge to edge there are clear lines that ruin the look of the phone, with ugly cutouts.

As far as cases go, most of them don't even work. Even all of the Apple ones don't cover the bottom, 2 days after getting my space gray 6 and my gold 6+ I dropped the smaller 6 in the official Apple leather case, it now has a tiny bump on the bottom near the speaker, you can barley see it, but the fact is that the case doesn't work. Something which protects 75% of the time means it doesn't work at all 25% of the time, and most of the cases don't cover the bottom, which means most of the cases do not serve their basic function, and offer no protection for one side, which will get damaged. It amazes me that the 3 sided design was approved.

Of the cases that do cover everything, 99% of them are a joke. They usually do not fit well, are pointlessly bulky, or do not offer reasonable protection. And most cases look like a preschooler designed them.

For most phones the market is pretty bad for decent accessories to protect your device, that don't look terrible, and aren't pointlessly bulky. For the iPhone 5/5S I tried around 190 different cases and found 3 that weren't designed by an idiot upon closer inspection. (Power Support flat bumper, official Apple leather case, and AL13 ultra slim aluminum bumper v1 (v2 is terrible))

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(not the best pictures, but you get the idea)

Of course the AL13 bumper never had a good color match in anything but silver, slate and space gray were 30 shades off, and Power Support couldn't even replicate space gray for the 5S, so there were some issues with color, but from a design perspective there were at least 3 excellent products available.

For a screen protector I used the iLoome flex, which is the thinnest glass like protector, super thin ones do not protect the screen from drops, and thicker ones feel horrible. It was perfectly flat, had excellent cut outs and had an anti-fingerprint coating.

I dropped my 5S onto hard concrete at least 2 times a week, sometimes from up to 10 feet onto concrete. I put giant dents into dozens of screen protectors and cases on several occasions, but everything worked flawlessly, it just look a lot of work to find a good product.

For the iPhone 6 everything is terrible.

2. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

You must be exceptionally wealthy to have purchased 100% of iPhone accessories to have made this assessment...

:eek:

3. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

How about you just don't be such a klutz with your expensive devices? I mean, do you crash your cars to test the insurance coverage from companies as well?

4. Jesla macrumors 6502a

Jesla

Day'um.....they just hit the market a few weeks ago, you'll have to wait for the good stuff, like LifeProof and Rokform.

5. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

The title of the thread itself is incorrect, it should say opinion.

Also, it's not the companies fault that you bought 190 different cases. Sometimes i feel like i'm the only person who reads reviews, or genuinely LOOKS at the case before i decide to buy it

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

It's in no way a fact. It may be your opinion but that is all it is. Even then it's not an opinion that is valid unless you have actually personally tried every single accessory which makes this thread pointless.

7. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

8. AppleP59, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

AppleP59 macrumors 6502

9. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Do you basically want physics to not be a thing? You seem upset that there aren't any cases that are ultra thin, don't obscure the curved edges, but also provide excellent drop protection. They don't exist, and never will because, physics.

Now, the Apple cases are meant to provide minor bump and scratch protection in a thin case. The big thick cases will protect fine but are necessarily bulky. The Tech 21 cases, which should be out very soon (if they're not shipping already) do a decent job at both but still won't provide great screen protection. However I've found three cases already that are really good for my purposes.

The Apple silicone case is great for minor protection in a sleek case that feels good. I don't expect it to provide amazing drop protection...it's not built for that. slightly bigger, but offering a bit more drop protection is my Spigen Neo Hybrid. The buttons weren't good initially but their fix works well and was free and proactive.

For times I want good drop protection I have an Elago Duro which feels really nice in the hand and looks quite good (to my taste). It'll protect well and while its bulkier than the others, it's the price you pay for better protection.

10. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

11. hellomisterjedi macrumors newbie

You, I like you. :p

12. KPOM macrumors G5

My guess is that Apple changed the design of the "official" cases because they were getting complaints that covering the bottom edge made them incompatible with some Lightning adapters, including Apple's own 30-pin to Lightning converter. I agree that the 5S case was very good, though. I dropped my iPhone 5s more than once and the case did an excellent job protecting it.

13. hellomisterjedi macrumors newbie

Well, there's that. But I doubt that was the main gripe as Apple's OEM Lighting chord worked just fine. The main issue was their being swamped with returns and "replacement requests" due to the plastic backed leather case breaking just above the headphone jack (due to pressure exerted at that area when removing/installing the device into aforesaid case.

That being said, I'm happy with the new case style. However, after watching several drop test videos, I've determined that the silicone case will do a better job at mitigating damage resulting from a drop. The leather case absorbs impact but all at once, while the silicone case tends to bounce around and slide a bit rather than one abrupt impact and all force at once. Black silicone it is for me.

14. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

Wow...someone had a bad day.:( Cases are very "personal" and inherently generate a lot of opinion and bias. Do/buy what's right for you and everyone will be happy. :) Lastly, trying 190 cases is probably an exaggeration.

15. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, mine did break there, too, because of the "death grip" that the case had on the phone. It took me a while to figure out how to remove the phone from the case. That said, even after it broke it still protected the phone well. A drop of Super Glue was enough to fix it.

16. johnc22 macrumors 6502

Pretty happy with my Incipio Dual Pro on my 6+. It's not ultra-thin, and that's fine because I know my phone will get dropped at some point. The Zagg glass screen protector is not cut as precisely as I'd like, but at some point, manually applying something cut perfectly for the flat part of the screen will be nearly impossible. OP needs to try yoga or meditation.

17. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Fact: 99% of the people that spout fact before they post an opinion have no clue what the real statistics are.

In this case I am sure I am in the 1%.

18. vomhorizon macrumors 6502a

19. Steven5211 macrumors newbie

The AL13 ultra slim aluminum bumper for the iPhone 6 looks pretty good. I wonder if the case has signal issues. Too bad it's on preorder. What do you guys think?

20. hellomisterjedi macrumors newbie

definitely signal issues.

21. Inframan macrumors 6502

Inframan

I agree with you to a certain degree. None of these case companies had full access to the iPhones precise design so they all guessed the dimensions.

Most of the cases anyone purchased in the last 2 weeks all have speculated dimensions so the fit is not going to be perfect.

I have watched several reviews on most of the cases here and 70% of them are not fitted correctly and have major design flaws.

So for now, the only cases you are going to find with precise fit is the ones released by Apple. If you want a nice case I would wait at least until December so the case companies can get good molds of the 6 & 6 plus to create good fitting quality cases.

22. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Who predicted the curved edge on the screen? All the dummy phones had flat screens and I don't remember any major leaks about the curved edge.

When Apple announced the 6/6+, screen protector manufactures got a kick in the nuts because they had no clue about the curved edge.

23. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I'm guessing the OP is OCD. I doubt most people would care about a scratch or dent that you can barely see, and most people would definitely not try 190 cases.

But I'll reiterate what an earlier member said about physics. Either your case is thin and offers less protection, or offers more protection but is thick.

24. newone757 macrumors 6502

25. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Complain about the open bottom of the leather case then praise a bumper case. Lol