Fact and Opinions Reqested

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prof Farnsworth, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Prof Farnsworth, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016

Prof Farnsworth macrumors member

Prof Farnsworth

So here is my situation,
    I am currently using a Galaxy Note 4and had the Note 2 before that, and An iPhone 3gs before that. I have an iPad mini, but my son uses it more then I do. I honestly love my Phone but as of late becoming a bit more disappointed in Samsung. ( lack of Updates, Removable battery gone ) and Am considering a move back into the apple products.

To be honest, I’m torn between the Note 6 and the iPhone 7. The part that sucks is at the moment there are only rumors about either phone. Based on current technologies, the iPhone 6s and 6s plus VS the Note 5 and the S7 what are the pro’s and cons of switching in your opinion? Are iPhones really technology speaking, behind their android counterparts? What Am I missing, How does the other Half live so to speak?
    Think like all I have to go on is my experience with Android, and horror stories from the Apple side...

Con
    Obviously, removable battery isn’t an option on either phone
    Expandable memory isn’t an option on the iPhone, Not sure of the Note6
    Samsung lack of updates

Pro
    Use to android ecosystem
    Apple updates its phones regularly
    Both Phones rumored to be waterproof
    Both phones Come in Phablet size
    Note Series has the S Pen

2. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

I think you're overblowing the updates thing, but if you're so hell bent on it, why not a Nexus 6p?

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Facts and opinions...so basically anything and everything? ;)

4. Prof Farnsworth thread starter macrumors member

Prof Farnsworth

Maybe a bit. But Find it annoying that it's hard to know if the phone will ever see an update. At least with apple, you know you're going to get it, even if your phone is a couple years old. As for the Nexus, it always seems to be a bit behind other major phones, and this year its rumored to be an HTC phone. Couldn't pay me to use HTC again. (had one that was so bad I didn't bother mentioning it in the list of phone's I've used)

In a sense yeah. I don't have access to an iPhone of any generation to play with. Best I have is an iPad mini. Can give me a bit of insight but not as much as other phone users can.

5. se1000, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016

se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

Couple things. Google has taken a fairly different approach when it comes to the OS. A majority of API's are now found in Google Play Services that gets updated apart from the OS itself. I admit, there are still a few things and the rare app that needs the lates OS, but they are fairly rare. I take it you're still on Lollipop and salty over not being on Marshmallow yet, I get it, but once you get M, you're going to scratch your head wondering why you wanted it so bad.

You also have to remember each "flavor" of Android, in Samsung's case it's Touchwiz, sometimes implements features before stock Android, and sometimes removes or disables features. For example, Android N is supposed to have windowed app support, something Samsung has been doing in Touchwiz for years. The opposite is guest user profiles, I believe Lollipop had it in stock android, but even through Marshmallow it doesn't exist in Touchwiz.

You're also basing a lot off rumors, they also rumored the iPhone 6s to be waterproof, look what happened to that. Nobody knows for sure what's going to happen, especially with Nexus devices. Huawei has registered the 7p name, so, who knows.

If you're really big on the updates thing, the current 6p is an excellent device with a great camera, stock android, and capacity options that are flexible.

Samsung has also been much better with their latest devices on updates, I actually got the April security update on my S7 before my 5x. The S7/S7 edge are fantastic devices. There are fairly wild rumors that are going around about the Note 6, even if it just had a minor spec bump + removable storage, I expect it to sell well.

Wait, horror stories from the Apple side? What are you talking about specifically?

6. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Are you not near an Apple Store. You could try one out for 2 weeks and return it if it does not please. Perhaps two weeks is not enough time for you. In any case, coming from the Apple side, I have been very pleased with all my iPhone's, 3GS, 4s, 5s, 6 Plus, and finally, 6s Plus.

Receiving iOS updates from Apple has always been a plus for me. Having a MacBook Pro, iPads, and family members also with iPhones, I find the tie ins, iMessage, find friend, face time, interoperability between devices, a great feature I have come to depend on.

All the top end phones are remarkable devices, none of which should disappoint. If one phone brand were truelly so superior, the market would reflect it with overwhelming sales. For instance Blackberry is not even a consideration. Some may sight that one phone or other is prominent where they are. However this may be due to other things than purely the phone being better. Things like national loyalties and currency exchange rates may be of great significance to their decisions.

Any forum like this one will provide you with an unbalanced view of problems with a particular phone. Consider that people come to forums to find answers to problems as well as find a place to complain. This may make any issue seem greatly enlarged. Vast majority of users don't frequent forums and are quite happy with their phone choice.

Your decision making process is made near impossible by selecting phone that is not even released and choice is based on rumors and speculation. You can always make a case for waiting on the next phone coming out, and never wind up getting anything. You would be better served, in my opinion looking at and comparing phone that you can touch, try out and that have buyer experience.

As to battery exchange. Do or did you carry extra battery to change out on any of your previous phones? Many people make a big deal about being able to change batteries, but seldom actually do so.

Same thing with memory. How many people carry extra memory and change it out? I doubt very many. Just buy the phone with largest memory and it becomes a non issue.

Have you ruined a phone due to water in past. I have not. It sounds like a nice feature to have, but I still wouldn't take my phone swimming in any case.

As far as having a pen, I feel it's a gimmick for a phone. Have never missed not having a pen. My fingers are always there and not having something else to loose or worry about is best for me. If a pen were such a big draw, pardon the pun, then the majority of phones would have one. They don't. If you are an artist, would suggest iPad Pro and Apple Pencil as this by all accounts is the best drawing tool out their.

The only two pros/cons that have any validity in my opinion are what you are used to, and the ease of updates in software. I love the updates on iPhone. And I have read that the overall experience of using the iPhone is more fluid, it just plain works, is valid point for me. My 6s Plus is a fast trouble free device that works for me and my son. Zero issues, several updates all smooth. Great battery life, great screen for videos, iMessage works great, emails, phone calls both cell and wifi calling. When son calls he remarks how I answer and phone hasn't even run yet on his side. Hands free Siri is wonderful and Nightshift that reduces blue light is something I can not live without now, both on phone and iPad.

That's my two cents worth. Good luck on choosing, and I think whatever you do you will be happy with it.

7. Prof Farnsworth thread starter macrumors member

Prof Farnsworth

The initial problem is I'm not buying the phone out right. I'm planning to get the phone when my contract expires. When I upgrade, the carrier gives you a bit of time, I think 14 days or half hour phone usage, something along that lines. That would give me a bit of time to play with the phone.

I do Carry an extra Battery with me and use it once a week on average. Have also had to change out a bad battery on my note 4, it’s a bit of a selling feature for me. Also have a battery charger I keep with me as well and use that maybe twice a week.

My iphone 3gs actually went for a swim, so yeah I’ve lost phones to water damage lol I was lucky I was out of contract when it happened. I could upgrade at that point.

The expandable storage is just one of those bonus things. I save my photos/videos on teh SD card so I don’t lose them if something happens to the phone. I’ll be honest though, my photos/videos automatically back up onto One Drive right now once I connect to a wifi. So it’s not as much of an issue as it once was. I might be losing a days worth at most if something bad happens. From what I’m told I can set that up on the iPhone as well.

As to the Horror story, I don't have a ready made story for you. I just know there were a few problems with my 3gs and that it was enough that I went to android. But I'm told that things are hugely different now with apple Care and the service,