Factfinding, preparation for... MAMP > Drupal

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Kelon, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Kelon macrumors member

Hi.
    I'm asking questions before wading in cos I'm cautious.
    I'm running OSx 10.4.11 Apache server as it came shipped with the OS along with php. I've decided I want to take a serious look at Drupal which of course requires MySQL. Er.. hum.... so, some (daft?) questions:
    1. What exactly does MAMP install? Is it just installing mySQL?
    2. It doesn't conflict/over-write the existing Apache set-up, does it?
    3. Am I right in thinking mySQL's already in the OS (It's quite a while since I started Apache and my memory's not what it was.) so MAMP's not the only way forward?
    4. Will anything be installed into Users > ~UserStuff > Sites?

I'm wary of disturbing what's already there, though I've backed up all the files in 'Sites' of course. All pointers appreciated.

Regards Kelon

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

MAMP: Mac Apache MySQL PHP. That's pretty much what it installs. It'll ignore any existing Apache, PHP, and MySQL installed on your machine. MySQL is not on your machine unless you have installed it yourself.

MAMP is the easiest way forward for you. It keeps it's own document area and does nothing to the Sites folder or the like relating to the existing Apache on your machine.

3. Kelon thread starter macrumors member

So - sorry to be pedantic and dim... it'll create another Apache server - I'll end up with two running?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

While you could run both, you only need to turn one on. MAMP isn't turned on through the Sharing preferences like the built-in Apache server. MAMP has its own control panel for turning it on/off.

5. Kelon thread starter macrumors member

OK... thanks for these pointers. I'm reassured, so I think I'll wade in, then I'll start to have an idea what I'm talking about. I'm curious to see where...
    ...gets put and how it all fits together. Thanks again Angelwatt.

6. Kelon thread starter macrumors member

Reporting back really, for anyone who arrives at this topic via a search or whatever. I went with MAMP "the easiest way forward". Yes, it is and sound advice... if you're developing ONE website (which the adviser wasn't to know I had more than one site). MAMP downloaded onto my Mac 10.4, sat in the Applications folder. Put a website in Applications/MAMP/htdocs/.. accessed with http://localhost:8888/ ... just fine and dandy. Recommend it.

TWO or more websites... ahuh. Hummmmm. The moment you put more than one folder in the MAMP/htdocs you need virtual hosts for a reasonable workflow developing sites with root relative links. Humm... nothing doing and no-one with any answers. Virtual hosts are so easy to set up normally. So... I abandoned MAMP (not well supported).

Decided on balance it was probably better to devote time to resolving problems upgrading the 10.4 server than resolving problems with MAMP. I think things have moved on since the general "it's a nightmare" vibe formed on the internet. Yes, you need the confidence not to panic, to feel OK about typing the odd command into Terminal (I recommend TextWrangler which keeps that to a minimum), also you need the sense to not go complicating things (most important) and to seek the simple answer.. as well as a methodical problem solving ability... yes, a little familarity with the techie aspects but not huge amounts (I'm a front-end designer who's always worked with 'techies' who took care of the 'techie' server stuff till now). Always back up stuff before you go changing it and you'll be fine. But then, if you're developing more than one website, such familarity should be coming along nicely... so go for it - don't waste time with MAMP.

With OS10.5 gradually replacing... it's all a bit academic anyway. Good to learn these things though.

Just recounting my experience incase it does help anyone else figure stuff out. Regards.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Virtual hosts work fine with MAMP, I have 3 sites setup on my MAMP install. If you need help with it just ask. Don't assume. It's simply a matter of editing the httpd.conf and your /etc/hosts file.

8. Kelon thread starter macrumors member

I did ask in a number of places, including this forum. I've achieved functioning vitualhosts on my installed server with "just altering" the hosts and conf files. I began to work out that with MAMP it had to be a bit more involved, so I made a judgement about time best spent solving this problem or that one and I went for that one. There are quite a lot of posts in a number of forums relating to people struggling to set up virtualhosts with MAMP which I took a message, rightly or wrongly, from; together with the lack of response to my "just asking" and that none of the other posts by other people with virtualhost problems seemed to get clear cut answers or applicable resolution. I put a lot of time into researching the issue and was maybe just really unlucky... however, usually on the internet, if the answer is straightforward then it's out there somewhere (as I found the answers to the issues I encountered in going the other route were). Just my experience. I'm sure others would appreciate a legacy here of how to achieve virtualhosts with MAMP if someone chooses to kindly leave guidance. Thanks for your help.

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I had come across that other thread of yours, but was busy at work at the time and meant to come back to it, but you know it goes. I've posted some information on my own virtual host setup if you want to take a look at it.

10. Kelon thread starter macrumors member

I do. I never presume I'll get answers to things, nor do I get all-out-of-shape when people don't provide solutions. It's always a kindness and generous act when people share their knowledge/experience and it's the fantastic thing about the internet - the platform it provides for such generosity. Many regards and thank you again.