Factor5 Oct 06: "wii = gamecube 1.5" - Factor5 Jan 08: "one all-new Wii project"

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by takao, Jan 14, 2008.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

this is jsut too great to pass up:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/factor-5-dont-jive-with-wii-210512.php

"Factor 5, currently developing Lair for the PS3, deemed the Wii a "GameCube 1.5" in reference to its relatively similar technical specifications, also describing the console's audio ability as "relatively mediocre". "

http://wii.ign.com/articles/845/845353p1.html

"In a phone conversation with IGN Wii this morning, company president Julian Eggebrecht confirmed that the studio is underway with at least one all-new Wii project -- and it's not a Virtual Console game. Beyond that confirmation, Eggebrecht was mum, but he did note that the new title would not simply re-use old Rogue Squadron tech; whatever it is, significantly updated or even completely new tech has been developed to help accommodate it."

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Rogue Squadron 4. It doesn't re-use old tech, because it's tilt-controlled! :p

Even with my sarcasm; I'd buy it anyway. I love the Rogue Squadron games, RS3's flaws notwithstanding.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Lol, crazy Factor 5, crazy.

So it was basically them thinking the Wii was going to flop so they jumped to the most sold console maker. And ended up with the laughable Lair? Can't believe the people who made Turrican would do something so daft!

Factor 5 I'd like a new Turrican please. But one done properly.

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yeah GFLPraxis, it will just be RS3 with tilt. :D An waggle of course. :eek: RS3 is one of the worst games I've bought. What a major POS compared to its predecessors.

If only the same team from Totally Games that worked on Star Wars X-Wing would make a new Wii/PC/whatever SW sim. I would be all over it. F5's RS games have always been a huge let down compared to what TG had accomplished.

Anyways, HYPOCRITES!!!

<]=)

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

The only 5 i want making Wii games is Level-5.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=11331

Would be nice....have the original on VC, so I'd be willing to pick this up. Plus a nice "new" IP for Nintendo(its not new, but their have not been a 3D games of it, so its new enough)

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

They don't have to like the platform in order to make money off of it. Look at all the crap waggle/mini game software titles that have sold for the Wii. It makes business sense for them to make a game on the Wii, it doesn't mean they like the platform or feel any differently about it ;)

I am sure this is more of a business/share holders choice and begrudgingly the dev staff is having to do it.

Ed

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

And WE don't need to buy their crap games. ;)

After the vomit that is Lair, are you going to buy another one of their games?

Anyway, I looked at my Wii collection and couldn't find the crap min games you're talking about? :confused:

<]=)

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

A company making one bad game does not mean all of their games will be written off. I mean, Nintendo's had some occasional very, very bad screwups, as has Sony and Microsoft.

I want another Rogue Squadron.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea, but Factor 5 haven't been doing a good job for a while. Their last GC game stunk, just as Rare's did (sorry MRU :eek:). But we'll see. They did make the original Turrican and Rogue Leader.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'll beat you with a stick :p

But wasn't Rare's last release officially the redux of Diddy Kong Racing on the DS! Which in actual fact did suck! so you're right ;)

13. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I guess Factor 5 realized they weren't as good as they thought they were when Lair bombed, so they decided to switch to Wii where development costs are lower.

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

One bad game, not from my recollection.

Rogue Squadron 3, MAJOR POS!!! I wrote factor 5 off back then. I bought RS3 for the co-op RS2 and X-Wing arcade game it included. I tried the main game, but had to stop because of excessive vomiting.

I want another X-Wing, screw this 3rd person arcade vomit, I'm tired of it!

-------------------

I couldn't get into Diddy Kong, especially after playing MK DS.

<]=)

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

lol Retro should have sold MP3 to Factor 5 and they could have replaced the Samus model to make a 3D Turrican. What with the linearity.

16. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

The on-foot levels were the only POS part of the game. The areal combat was as good as ever.

And what are you talking about, "3rd person arcade vomit?" If you didn't like 3rd person view, you could play the game entirely from within the cockpit..."1st person view."

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It wasn't that bad. Rogue Squadron 2 was amazing. Rogue Squadron 3 had terrible on-foot segments but the space battles weren't bad at all, I especially liked some of the more creative missions (the Executer attack run) and unlockables (TIE Bomber, Jedi Starfighter).

Obviously RS2 was far, far better, but RS3 was worth playing if you just ignore all the on-foot levels (which are absolutely horrible). And the multiplayer's fun, except I had no friends that owned RS2 so I just pwned everyone and in co-op my friends lost all the lives.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Gotta agree, RS3 was kinda fun in the planes but everything else was a pain (urgh, race through the forest). Still it was only £4.99 so I don't feel too bad about buying it :D

19. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

No, you don't have to like a platform to make money off of it, but publicly trashing it while trying to make money off of it is a poor business/publicity. If they don't like the platform, how am I supposed to believe that they will put as much time into refining and making a game better rather than just phoning it in to make a few bucks? I'm more likely to take my chances on a developer who likes the platform, or at least hasn't publicly announced their disdain.

20. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

RS3! *BARFS* *VOMITS* *PUKES* *HEEEEEEEEEEAAVES*

After hemorrhaging up my intestines, stomach, and uvula on the atrocious foot level Naboo -- I think, or it was Hoth, I stopped playing the game. Maybe the people at F5 can't really walk and this was why the foot levels were an an atrocity.

Playing in the cockpit was not practical in any Rogue Squadron. Its "Arcade" controls made that clear. Unlike X-Wing and other better Lucas SW games, it was difficult to judge/gauge your ship's width.

Like I said, I'm tired of it. I would prefer they go the simulator route again, not this arcade BLAH that as a whole ended up being an OK ride. I never finished RS on my 64, it had its moments, but these games have always been sub par console attempts when compared to Lucas's glory days of space flight games. What rule was written that states as a game's visuals become more realistic, every thing else had to be compromised?

<]=)

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

So there's a new rumor going around that Factor 5 is doing a second party game; developing a new Kid Icarus for Nintendo, because of Pit's surge in popularity due to Smash Bros. I think it's a load of crap, but who knows, it could be true.

JackAxe; the foot levels were horrible, but IMHO the flight levels were good enough that I could play through the whole game and not feel like I had entirely wasted the money.

And it doesn't negate the fact that RS2 was awesome and RS3's co-op mode is great if you have friends that are decent.

I want an RS4 that is based off RS2.

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

RS2 co-op and the X-Wing Arcade game were its only saving grace. I also didn't like the new Star Wars ships in RS3, so that's just another reason I stopped playing it. Yep, that's superficial of me. :eek:

It's my perspective. If I hadn't played the early Lucas SW simulators, I wouldn't have had my let downs when playing the first RS on my 64. It was fun only because it was different and new, but in comparison to what I had played, it was sub-par on so many levels -- only visually was it better.

I don't want a RS4, I want a new X-Wing with RS's level of graphics. And what I really don't want, is a new SW game that relies on a tilt-sensor for flight, I want a real joystick. I had my share of CH and Thrustmasters when they were good products.

<]=)

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Let's face it factor5 are a business and they are going to choose whatever makes most financial sense at the time. If getting into bed with Sony with Lair kept the studio afloat for a couple of years so be it. I'm sure sony paid them lots of $$$! for it and for them to big up the hardware publically. But calling them sellouts is over-zealous. They are people with familys, mortgages, bills to pay and general LIFE stuff, so as i say in their position i would do whatever it takes to stay afloat especially in todays market atmosphere.

Lair was flawed mostly in its controls. If it had dropped sixaxis and relied on traditional control scheme im sure it would have been recieved a lot better. Basically despite some really good stuff the broken control scheme killd it. But im guessing that it was probably Sony that insisted on it being implemented as they were the ones bigging up this part of the game.

24. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

That's good business practice, but did they really need to scoff on the Wii while they were dating the PS3? :) It only makes their return something of ridicule.

All in all it's good for the Wii, so no complaint when it comes to that. If they do produce a good game, I'll be the first hypocrite to go out and buy it, but if it's another graphic-whore game that lacks any substance, eh.

<]=)

25. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

ok Julian Eggebrecht just confirmed that he is mr. big mouth nr. 1

http://wii.ign.com/articles/851/851287p1.html

"We're pretty much at a state where we're almost done with the engine. At the same time, we've also been working on content quite a bit because we had enough running very quickly on the platform that we were able to. But the biggest milestone or mark right now is that we're almost done with the engine and it does everything that the PS3 did and then some, quite frankly. So we're pretty happy with that."

emphasis added
    :rolleyes: