Factory Default

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by moosa19, Sep 17, 2008.

1. moosa19 macrumors member

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help
    I have a macbook and want to upgrade to macbook pro
    I have a few questions
    I need to sell the macbook first in order to raise funds

1. Is there an easy option to delete all data from my hard drive?
    2. I have mail syned - can i just delete the account?
    3. I have an iphone synced with itunes - would i lose all my music/podcasts when i transfer to the new mbp?
    4. I also have mobileme - how would i stop emails/contacts etc being sent to the old mb after i have sold the mb

Also would it be safe selling on ebay after i have deleted everything from the hard drive

sorry for the noob questions

Thanks

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

The best thing is probably to use migration assistant, when you get the new mac, to transfer everything from the old one. It should preserve all files, settings and musics.

Then boot the old mac from the install disc and do a complete erase. Be sure to select the write zeroes options when erasing. After that just do a fresh install of the system.

3. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

The OP could only do this if he had both the MB and MBP in hand.

OP, what I suggest you do is, download SuperDuper! (freeware) and create a bootable clone of your system onto an external hard drive. If you don't have an ext HD, you should consider one from a backup safety point of view, and todays prices are definitely encouraging.
    Once thats done, you can either boot from the external HD, or from your install disc and erase your internal MacBook HD. (I'd do the 7 passes zero out option just to be sure, though it will take some time depending on how much stuff you have on your drive (eg 5-10hrs)).

Then your MB is good to go on the market!

Then when you get your MBP, you can create a clone from the ext HD onto the internal HD, and all your data from your old machine is on your new one.

Good Luck, b.

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Oh, my bad, I missed that part! :eek:

So bsheridan is right, his suggestion is probably the best one.

5. moosa19 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys
    that sounds like a good option as i have an external HD that could do the backup

just 2 more q's

1. how do i delete the data from my HD

"I'd do the 7 passes zero out option just to be sure"

2. Assuming i clone my HD onto the new mbp. Will my itunes and mobileme settings stay the same?

Thanks

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I can answer 1. (I suppose you are referring to erasing the internal drive of the "old" mac):

1. you need to boot from the external clone (so you will also test it) or from the install discs.
    2. open Disk Utility (from the Utility folder on the cloned drive or from the Tools menu if you booted from the install disks)
    3. select the disk you want to erase and choose the Erase tab.
    4. there is an Security Options button there. Click it and a new windows will open with the erase options.
    5. chose the number of passes you want. The more passes you want the longer it takes to erase.
    6. click the OK button
    7. click the Erase button to start the procedure.

7. moosa19 thread starter macrumors member

8. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

A clone is an exact backup of your data, ie- if HD1 is the original hard drive, then you clone it to a new hard drive, HD2, they will be exactly the same.
    So all your settings will be copied over aswell.

Just as an added precaution before you do any of these procedures, open up Disk Utility on your original (MB) hard drive and click 'Repair Disk Permissions'.
    When it's completed you'll be good to go.

b.

9. moosa19 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Mate!!